ADELAIDE - WEST BEACH AIRPORT 1960s
East-West Airlines from Tamworth NSW operated a series of Australian outback tours 964-1965 which dropped in at Adelaide.
Here VH-EWB is parked on the main airline ramp in front of the Adelaide terminal building in April 1964.
Another view of the terminal building from airside. CZL Aero 145 VH-WWC visiting from its base at Port Lincoln SA in February 1964.
As was common in those innocent days, the terminal featured a pleasant open air public observation deck along the top level.
Behind the top level windows were ATC Pilot Briefing, OPS, SAR and Area Control, Communications Centre and Flight Service.
|This Lockheed 12A was
based at Adelaide Airport during 1962 flown by SA Air Taxis. This view
shows the undeveloped airport landscape
along the access road, now cluttered with commercial buildings.
SA Air Taxis also based this Avro Nineteen VH-RCC at Adelaide Airport when the business merged with Nicholas Air Charter of Melbourne.
Despite its age, the Avro had been flown from England in 1962 and retained the blue and gold paintwork of its previous British owner.
Airlines of South Australia was based at West Beach and flew a network of services to SA towns and Broken Hill NSW with a fleet of
two Convair 440s and four DC-3s. Military charters were regularly operated to the Maralinga and Woomera restricted defence sites.
ASA was an Ansett-ANA subsidiary, but operated as a proudly independent local carrier.
Airlines of SA was formed in 1960 when Ansett-ANA completed its takeover of Guinea Airways at Adelaide.
Douglas DC-3 VH-ANW was one of the Guinea Airways fleet transferred to ASA. Its original Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasps
had been replaced by Wright R-1820 Cyclones for standardisation with all DC-3s operated by Ansett-ANA and its subsidiary airlines.
Australia's only surviving pre-war DC-3 VH-ABR, built in 1938 for ANA, flew with ASA until retired in 1971.
of South Australia operated this Piaggio P.166B Portofino 1963-64 on passenger
services to smaller SA towns and charter work.
ASA's first turbine equipment was F.27 VH-FNP, photographed in September 1967.
Ansett-ANA operated daily freight services from Melbourne to Adelaide, initially with DC-3 Cargoliners.
Here the setting sun lights up VH-ANV waiting for its 7pm scheduled departure back to Essendon in May 1962.
Ansett-ANA DC-3 Skyliner VH-ANH was on the nightly freight run in September 1963 between passenger charters and crew training.
Ansett-ANA Bristol Freighter Mk.31 VH-BFA was a regular on the Adelaide run, arriving at dawn from Melbourne and parking at
the Ansett-ANA hangar all day during crew rest period. It was loaded up during the day and departed that evening for Melbourne.
Douglas DC-4s became the usual Ansett-ANA freighters during 1963. Here's VH-INY in May 1963 still with Skymaster on the
tail from its days in Ansett-ANA passenger service, prior to being repainted as Cargomaster.
Ansett-ANA DC-4 Cargomaster VH-ANF preparing for a night departure on a scheduled freight service in June 1962.
Aviation Traders ATL.98 Carvairs were introduced in late 1965 by Ansett-ANA, having sent three of their DC-4s to England for conversion.
Fitted with a specialised pallet cargo system, the Carvairs operated daily into Adelaide into the 1970s.
Executive aircraft of Associated Airlines, Melbourne, which operated exclusively for the mining industry, were regular visitors.
Their magnificent red and white Grumman G.159 Gulfstream 1 VH-ASJ Silver Gulfstream was photographed in February 1965.
Associated Airlines added two other G.159s before the Gulfstream jets came on the scene.
Associated Airlines' DH.114 Heron 2D VH-ASH Silver Heron in red, white and polished metal, at Adelaide in August 1963.
Trans-Australia Airlines DC-3s came through Adelaide on the Channel Country multi-stop service from Brisbane via Leigh Creek.
VH-TAJ was on the service in June 1962. The DC-3s were later replaced by Twin Otters.
DC-3 VH-DAS was based at Adelaided all decade, operated on contract by
TAA for the SA Department of Lands on extensive
photographic survey mapping of the State. My photo in May 1965 with visiting East-West Airlines DC-3 VH-EWE parked behind.
Another aircraft operated at Adelaide by TAA on contract was this DH.104 Dove 6 for the UK Ministry of Aviation. TAA aircrew flew it
on courier services to the atomic test grounds at Maralinga SA. It had been repainted in the 1960 era TAA blue and white scheme
with dayglo orange tail. It was sold in February 1963 and became VP-PAA with Megapode Airways in the Solomon Islands.
Northern Territory Medical Service Dove 5 VH-DHK from Darwin having a maintenance inspection in the TAA hangar in August 1963.
It retains the colourful paint scheme of its previous owner, Bay of Plenty Airways in New Zealand as ZK-BZP.
The same Dove at Adelaide in May 1966 on a Medevac flight from Alice Springs. By now it had been repainted in the much more sedate
NTMS standard scheme of grey and white with thin red trim.
RFDS DHA-3 Drovers from the Broken Hill RFDS base came to Adelaide on urgent medical flights.
Drover 3A VH-FDC John Flynn seen at Adelaide Airport in October 1962, green and white with red crosses.
Department of Civil Aviation (SA/NT Region) based one of their four Aero Commanders in Adelaide during the decade.
VH-CAU, an Aero Commander 560E, taxies for departure in June 1962.
DCA had three F.27 Friendships which were regular visitors. VH-CAT in August 1962 prior to extended nose weather radar installation.
Occasional international fog diversions from Sydney caused much excitement. Alitalia DC-8 I-DIWP in November 1964.