Last updated 10 March 2021
AUSTRALIAN CIVIL AVRO ANSONS - Part 4  VH-CAB to VH-WMA

Compiled by Geoff Goodall

Concluding the listing of RAAF Ansons sold by military disposals which became civil registered

RAAF Mallala, South Australia in 1943 showing the Ansons and Oxfords of No.6 Service Flying Training School.

           This final installment of a listing of Australian civil Avro Ansons covers those Ansons in general first registered 1950 onwards. By this time the Department of Civil Aviation had abandoned its earlier policy of allocating sequential civil registrations in the VH-A & VH-B series and had reserved the VH-CA block for its own aircraft fleet. Despite being very aware of the Anson's shortcomings in performance and deterioration in their glued wooden construction wings and tailplanes, DCA chose ex-RAAF Ansons for the Departmental aircraft fleet, alongside Tiger Moths, Austers and DC-3s. We begin with the DCA Avro Anson fleet, which flew to all corners of Australia and Papua New Guinea, serving the Department well between 1950-1960 when they were replaced by factory-fresh Aero Commanders.

              Anson 1           W2618                                                                                                             VH-CAB
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2618

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
27.10.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2618. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton for erection ex UK
28.12.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 1AD
24.1.42
Received No.2 Air Navigation School, Nhill ex 6SFTS
8.12.43
Received No.3 Air Observers School, Port Pirie ex 2ANS
29.3.45
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 3AOS for complete overhaul
18.10.45
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex Guinea Airways
23.12.46
Received Air Ground Radio School, Ballarat ex 6SFTS
9.2.48
Received 3AD Amberley ex AGRS
15.9.49
Received School of Air Navigation, East Sale ex 3AD

(Final RAAF record card missing)
53
Held in storage by 1AD Detachment B Tocumwal
16.3.53
Sold by Department of Supply to R.J.Beaton, 34A Somerville Road, Yarraville, Melbourne Vic
-
Sold to Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic. 
8.54
Civil conversion completed, window panels and extended nose modification
12.8.54
Registered VH-CAB Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic
Identity quoted as "W2616": see below

Allocated to DCA Queensland Region, based at Eagle Farm Airport, Brisbane
1.9.59
Landed at Rockhampton Qld carrying officials for the Royal tour visit of Princess Alexandra
14.9.60
Retired at Brisbane. Probably burnt for an airport fire service practice exercise.
30.6.62
Struck-off Register



Note: VH-CAB was registered quoting identity "W2616", which was VH-BBT (see part 2).
The compiler believes W2616 to be a clerical error and the above to be the actual identity.
W2616/VH-BBY was stored at Archerfield in 1947 without overhaul for civil conversion. Should it have remained in storage as late as 1954, it seems unconceivable that DCA would have purchased an Anson with hydraulic, mechanical and electrical systems unused for 8 years, when RAAF disposals recently-operational Ansons were available at that time.


VH-CAB at Eagle farm Qld in 1954 prior to being painted in DCA blue scheme.      Photo by Gus Grulke


Eagle Farm September 1958 in DCA blue and white "house colours" with Departmental shield emblem on the nose.
Photo by Dick Hitchins

              Anson 1           W2378                                                                                                             VH-CAC
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2378

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
29.8.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2378. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
27.9.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP
29.11.44
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
2.7.45
Received 6SFTS Storage ex Guinea Airways for undercover storage. Tfd to Care & Maintenance Unit, Mallala
7.3.47
Received CMU Benalla ex CMU Mallala for undercover storage
15.11.48
Received 1AD Detachment B, Tocumwal ex CMU Benalla for undercover storage
11.11.49
Received Airflite Pty Ltd, Mascot ex Tocumwal for major servicing
17.7.50
Received 3AD Amberley ex Airflite for installation of navigation equipment
3.11.50
Received 1AD Detachment B Tocumwal for storage
15.11.51
Received 1AD Laverton ex Tocumwal for mods
19.9.52
Held at 1AD in serviceable condition
15.1.53
Downgraded to undercover storage
21.4.53
Sold through Departrment of Supply for 100 to Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic
25.6.53
W2378 at Essendon in DCA hangar
11.12.53
Weighed at Essendon on completion of civil conversion
16.12.53
First test flight Essendon
18.12.53
Second test flight Essendon. Starboard engine failed 40 miles south of Melbourne due crossed fuel lines. Pilot S. S. Campbell returned to Essendon
7.1.54
CofA issued. Original military glasshouse and nose
7.1.54
Registered VH-CAC Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic
1.54
Allocated to DCA Papua New Guinea Region, based at Port Moresby
28.9.56
Testflown Essendon after major overhaul, including fitting a new mainplane

Retired
20.6.58
Struck-off Register as "destroyed".
No record of any accident. Believed refers to its use for airport fire service practice.


VH-CAC at Brisbane-Eagle Farm 1954, probably on its delivery fligh to New Guinea.        Photo by Gus Grulke


Port Moresby-Jacksons Aerodrome circa 1956 at a wartime open-front maintenance hangar.       Ed Coates Collection


VH-CAC in the background of this atmospheric picture taken at a Port Moresby air pageant in June 1955.
Pacific Islands Monthly, courtesy Roger McDonald

             Anson 1           AW519                                                                                                             VH-CAD
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as AW519

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
10.10.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AW519. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
19.12.41
Issued to No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP
15.1.45
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
27.7.45
Received 6SFTS ex Guinea Airways
22.2.46
Received Care & Maintenance Unit Nhill ex CMU Mallala for undercover storage
22.8.46
Received Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill for undercover storage
13.4.50
Received Airflite Pty Ltd, Sydney ex Point Cook for survey
18.12.50
Received 2AD Richmond ex Airflite
9.1.51
Received 1D Detachment B Tocumwal ex 2AD for undercover storage
19.9.51
Received 2AD Richmond ex Tocunmwal for installation radio equipment, then storage undercover
26.2.53
Held serviceable at 2AD
19.8.53
Offered for disposal
27.8.53
Sold through Departrment of Supply to Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic
22.12.53
Registered VH-CAD Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic
Identity quoted as "R3/LW/96790" which is the Avro fuselage part number
54
Allocated to DCA South Australia and Northern Territory (SA/NT) Region, based at Adelaide-Parafield 
30.10.59
VH-CAD took part in a flypast over Melbourne with Ansons VH-FIA and VH-BAB to mark the 25th anniversary of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith's flight Australia-California in Lockheed Altair VH-USB
9.60
Retired at Parafield
14.9.60
Struck-off Register
3.62
Towed from DCA hangar at Parafield to Airport Fire Service practice ground.
8.62
Burnt for fire practice Parafield SA


Essendon circa 1957-58 in DCA blue and white trim with DCA badge on nose.        John Hopton Collection


VH-CAD departs the DCA hangar at Parafield 1959.                                               Peter Kelly collection


On the airport fire practice ground at Parafield in May 1962.                                    Photo by Geoff Goodall


VH-CAD's burnt remains at Parafield September 1962.                                   Photo by Geoff Goodall

            Anson 1             W2558                                                                                                             VH-CAK
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2558

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
10.10.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2558. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
6.12.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP
22.11.44
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
27.7.45
Received 6SFTS ex Guinea Airways, via Dept of Aircraft Production, Parafield
17.9.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage ex unit strength. Passed to Care & Maintenance Unit Mallala
7.3.47
Received CMU Benalla ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
5.10.48
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic

Remained stored in hangar at RAAF Benalla while DCA issued tenders for the civil overhaul of its first two Ansons
15.3.49
Overseas Corporation (Australia) Ltd Aviation Division, Bankstown Aerodrome Sydney submitted a detailed proposal to DCA for overhaul and civil conversion of DCA Ansns W2448 & W2558. Quoted 1,800 for each aircraft subject to their delivery from RAAF Benalla to the company hangar at Bankstown.
(Overseas Corp were Bristol agents for Australia and had established a maintenance operation at Bankstown for Bristol Freighters and Sycamores)
3.49
DCA received a tender from Victorian & Interstate Airways Ltd, Essendon quoting 1562 for W2558 and
1631 for W2448
5.5.49
DCA notify tenderers that VIA had been accepted. "During the war VIA undertook large volumes of overhaul and repair work for RAAF. The company is currently manufacturing Avro Lincoln components for the Government Aircraft Factory production at Fishermans Bend. "
27.6.49
RAAF record card: "Collected by Civil Aviation 27 June 1949 at CMU Benalla"

Civil conversion at Essendon by VIA
21.11.49
Registration application: Department of Civil Aviation.  Registration VH-CAK allocated
9.2.50
First test flight Essendon after civil overhaul
10.2.50
Registered VH-CAK
10.2.50
CofA issued
4.4.50
Departed Essendon on delivery flight to Perth where it will be based with DCA West Australian Region.
Ferry pilot was Earl H. Fry, WA Region's chief pilot.
6.50
Paintwork completed at Maylands Aerodorme, Perth when blue and white cheatline was applied with DCA emblem on the nose and tail.
9.1.53
VH-CAK noted at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth, silver with blue trim and black registration letters
3.9.53
Bogged on soft surface of De Rose Hill airstrip NT
18.11.59
CofA expired, not renewed. Parked in the open at Perth Airport
4.5.60
Struck-off civil register
.60
Burnt for fire crew practice at Perth Airport


VH-CAK at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth in January 1953.                                                   Photo by John M. Smith


VH-CAK at Perth Airport late 1959. retired on the grass with propellers and window curtains removed.
Geoff Goodall collection


             Anson 1             W2448                                                                                                             VH-CAL
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2448

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
8.8.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2448. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
19.9.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP
24.11.43
Issued to Ansett Airways, Essendon ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
18.9.44
Received 1AD Laverton ex Ansett Airways
25.9.44
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 1AD
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage ex unit strength. Stored under cover. Transferred to Care & Maintenance Unit Mallala
7.3.47
Received CMU Benalla ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
5.10.48
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Department of Civil Aviation, Melbourne Vic

Remained stored in hangar at RAAF Benalla while DCA issued tenders for the civil overhaul of its first two Ansons
15.3.49
Overseas Corporation (Australia) Ltd Aviation Division, Bankstown Aerodrome Sydney submitted a detailed proposal to DCA for overhaul and civil conversion of DCA Ansns W2448 & W2558. Quoted 1,800 each aircraft subject to their delivery from RAAF Benalla to the company hangar at Bankstown.
(Overseas Corp were Bristol agents for Australia and had established a maintenance operation at Bankstown for Bristol Freighters and Sycamores)
3.49
DCA received a tender from Victorian & Interstate Airways Ltd, Essendon quoting 1562 for W2558 and
1631 for W2448
5.5.49
DCA notify tenderers that VIA had been accepted. "During the war VIA undertook large volumes of overhaul and repair work for RAAF. The company is currently manufacturing Avro Lincoln components for the Government Aircraft Factory production at Fishermans Bend. "
27.6.49
RAAF record card: "Collected by Civil Aviation 27 June 1949 at CMU Benalla"

Civil conversion at Essendon by VIA
20.7.49
Registration application: Department of Civil Aviation.  Registration VH-CAL allocated
5.9.49
RAAF record card: Issued to purchaser ex Care & Maintenance Unit Benalla
12.4.50
First test flight Essendon after civil convesion
12.4.50
Registered VH-CAL
12.4.50
CofA issued. Fitted with extended nose baggage locker modification

Initially based Sydney with DCA NSW Region, later based Brisbane with Queensland Region
20.8.58
Struck-off Register as withdrawn from service


Sydney Airport during the 1950s, showing the extended nose baggage hold modification.     Geoff Goodall collection


Eagle Farm Airport, Brisbane circa 1954.                                  Photo by Henry W. Pryor via Ron Cuskelly


VH-CAL at a refuelling stop at Cloncury Qld.                                           Ben Dannecker collection


A rare 1950s colour view at an unidentified location.                                          Peter Kelly collection


             Anson 1             W1532                                                                                     VH-DJB,  VH-RAS  VH-DOB
.40
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W1532

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
25.11.40
Taken on RAAF charge as W1532. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
20.12.40
Received No.3 Service Flying Training School, Amberley ex 2AP
5.6.41
Forced landing due engine failure on takeoff Amberley
1.8.41
Ground collision stationary W1532 struck by taxying Anson W1718 during night flying at Amberley
3.4.42
Received 1SFTS Point Cook ex 3SFTS
27.4.42
Received No.2 Air Navigation School, Nhill ex 1SFTS
21.7 42
Port wing damaged while taxying at Bairnsdale, struck the nose of Anson AW486
22.11.43
Issued to Ansett Airways, Essendon ex 2ANS for complete overhaul
21.8.44
Received 1AD Laverton ex Ansett Airways
6.11.44
Received Station HQ Laverton ex 1AD
4.10.45
Received Care & Maintenance Unit, Benalla ex SHQ Laverton for under cover storage.
23.3.48
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Flt Lt H.A.McDonald, Melbourne
12.5.48
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Benalla
5.48
Collected from Benalla by owner Flt Lt H.A. McDonald
16.6.48
David J. Bourke, Manager of Corio Air Engineers wrote to DCA:
"DJ287 is almost ready for test flight. It involved more than twice the normal work required for conversion and CofA due to its disappointing condition when we opened her up. McDonald has held up work on his W2575 and W1532,
both are in the open at Belmont Common. We have covered them with tarpaulins in an attempt to protect them from the weather."

4.50
Registration application: Corio Air Engineeers, Belmont Common airfield, Geelong Vic c/- David J. Bourke
DCA allocated registration VH-BOI
10.50
Bourke wrote to DCA requesting registration VH-DJB for this Anson, which is being made airworthy
21.12.50
Registered VH-DJB Corio Air Engineeers, Belmont Common airfield, Geelong Vic
51
Operated on charter and joyriding from Bemont Common by Dave Bourke (owner of Corio Air Engineers) under the name Southern Air Services, Geelong Vic
12.51
Sold to Robbys Aircraft Repair Co Ltd, Parafield Aerodrome, Adelaide SA

Robbys was formed at Parafield in 1948 by P.W. Robilliard and Maxwell Bond, providing aircraft maintenance, a flying school, aerial agricultural services and charters. In late 1951 the company successfully bid for a 5 year aerial photographic survey contract with the SA Department of Lands and purchased two Ansons for this contract, this aircraft and VH-AYI which became VH-RAU.
15.2.52
Reregistered VH-RAS

Operated extensively on photographic mapping of South Australia for the SA Department of Lands contract. The mapping project was taken over by DC-3 VH-DAS which was operated by TAA for the SA Dept of Lands from 1958.
.59
Ownership name changed to: Robbys Aircraft Co Ltd, Parafield SA
22.6.59
Ownership name changed to: Robbys Aerial Services Ltd. Parafield SA
16.2.61
Change of ownership and registration VH-DOB: William T. Dobson, Melbourne Vic

In a letter to the compiler Mr. Dobson said he had purchased the Anson unaware of the pending DCA type grounding order. When its CofA expired later in 1961 he took no action to have it renewed and left the aircraft in the hands of Robbys at Parafield.
61-62
Parked in Robbys second hangar at Parafield in excellent condition. Silver with red trim.
1.63
Hangarage fees not paid, rolled out on to the grass at Parafield, parked in the weather
13.12.63
Towed from grass aircraft parking area to DCA fire service practice ground at Parafield
28.8.64
Dismantled at fire service practice ground, fuselage taken away by road
29.9.64
Fuselage and parts used in an emergency exercise at Skye in the Adelaide Hills to test rescue services responses to an aircraft crash away from an airport. 
64
Fuselage stored at St Johns Ambulance Station in Adelaide suburb Hindmarsh. Removed as scrap in 1967
1.66
Remaining sections of VH-DOB on the fire ground at Parafield were burnt in a training exercise


VH-DJB at Belmont Common airfield Geelong Vic in August 1950, up on blocks to keep it above flood waters.
Kevin O'Reilly collection


Reregistered VH-RAS with Robbys Aircraft Repair Co at Adelaide-Parafield.           John Hopton Collection


Now VH-DOB, seen in February 1962 while in storage in a Robbys hangar at Parafield.     Photo by Geoff Goodall


Parafield January 1963, VH-DOB now out on the grass.                         Photo by Geoff Goodall


VH-DOB awaits her fate on the Parafield fire practice ground in December 1963.            Photo by Geoff Goodall


Newspaper clipping of VH-DOB's fuselage in scrub at Skye in the Adelaide hills surrounded by "injured" and rescue
workers during the air crash emergency exercise in September 1964.


             Anson 1             W2093                                                                                                VH-EFR
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2093

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
16.5.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2093. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
26.8.41
Received No.3 Service Flying Training School, Amberley ex 2AP
13.4.42
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 3SFTS
19.12.44
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
2.7.45
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex Guinea Airways
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage ex unit strength. Stored under cover. Transferred to Care & Maintenance Unit Mallala
14.4.47
Received Air & Ground Radio School, Ballarat ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
27.2.48
Received 3AD Amberley ex AGRS
16.4.48
Received 3AD Archerfield Detachment for under cover storage
14.11.49
Received School of Air Navigation, East Sale ex 3AD. Resumed operational service
19.10.50
Received 1AD Detachment B Tocumwal ex East Sale for storage
.53
Sold through Department of Supply for 60 to Mr. Vernon Reid, Hobart Tasmania
12.3.53
Struck-off RAAF charge
13.6.53
Civil Registration application: Messrs Vernon G.Reid & J.W.Reffen, Hobart Tas
DCA allocated registration VH-BOT
53
Civil certification not completed
53-56
Believed stored in hangar at Cambridge Aerodrome, Hobart
11.6.56
DCA allocated registration VH-EFR at request of Mr. Vernon Reid c/- Goilala Air Services,Tapini, Papua New Guinea
c56
VH-EFR refuelled at Rockhampton Qld on ferry flight to New Guinea, original helmet cowlings
18.3.58
Registered VH-EFR: Papuan Air Transport Ltd - Patair, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
18.3.58
CofA issued.
10.59
Retired at Port Moresby, the last of Patair's Ansons to be withdrwn from service replaced by newly delivered Piaggio P.166s from Italy
30.10.59
VH-EFR noted in a salvage yard in Port Moresby town. Reported to have been donated by Patair to either the Boroko Returned Servicemens Club, or a childrens playgroundSilver and red.
2.61
VH-EFR noted in Port Moresby town


Rockhampton Qld 1956-57 on ferry flight to New Guinea with original helmet engine cowlings.   Geoff Goodall collection


Kokoda, Papua New Guinea in Patair service 1959.                                             Geoff Goodall collection


            Anson 1              W2598                                                                                               VH-EWA, VH-EWZ
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2598

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
28.8.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2598. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton for erection ex UK
1.11.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 1AD
24.1.42
Received No.2 Air Navigation School, Nhill ex 6SFTS
20.9.43
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier ex 2ANS
13.12.43
Received 1AOS Cootamundra ex 2AOS
17.2.44
Damaged in forced landing near Kempsey NSW
22.5.44
Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex 1AOS for complete overhaul
29.1.45
Received No.2 Aircraft Depot Ferry Flight, Richmond ex 2AP
13.8.45
Received Care & Maintenance Unit Evans Head ex 2AD for storage under cover
18.4.46
Received CMU Narrandera ex CMU Evans Head for storage under cover
14.11.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Mr. E.Wilkinson, Inverell NSW
13.12.46
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Narrandera

Edward Wilkinson purchased 4 Ansons from Disposals for the Anson Holding Syndicate, Inverell, founded by local investors in a proposed airline to connect northern NSW towns. Later registered as a business as the Anson Holding Company, Inverell NSW.
12.46
Tamworth pilot Arch Smith flew Anson VH-AYI Narrabri-Sydney-Narrandera, carrying Anson Holding Syndicate members and volunteers to work on two Ansons W2068 & W2598 purchased at Narrandera. After 4 days and nights of maintenance, the two were fit for ferry flights
12.46
W2068 & W2598, flown by Keith Robey, Sydney and Reg Jones, Inverell were ferried from Narrandera to Tamworth, in company with VH-AYI pilot Arch Smith

The Anson Holding Co's four Ansons were stored in former RAAF hangars at the wartime Tamworth aerodrome while the planned air service, named East West Airlines was established and applications made for an airline licence.
Ted Wilkinson was a foundation director.
.47
W2598 ferried Tamworth-Mascot Aerodrome, Sydney for civil conversion by Marshall Airways
22.11.47
Testflown Mascot after civil conversion by Marshall Airways.
25.11.47
Civil registration application: East-West Airlines Ltd, Tamworth NSW. Requested registration VH-EWA
19.12.47
Registered VH-EWA
12.47
Entered East-West Airlines service on scheduled routes from Tamworth. Named "Ulm"
15.9.49
Flying fodder drops to stranded livestock during flooding of the Moree district. On this day EWA Captain Basil Brown dropped a total of 180 bales of hayin sorties from Moree aerodrome.
12.50
Annual CofA due for renewal. East-West Airlines requested DCA approval for a 30 day extension to allow it to continue on the Glen Innes route where delayed runway extentions had stopped the planned introduction of their Lockheed Hudson VH-BNJ. 
Such was the high level of East-West Airlines' maintenance, DCA granted a CofA extension until 13 March 1951.
21.3.51
Reregistered VH-EWZ at East-West Airlines' request, to free their prime registration VH-EWA for one of the replacement Hudsons being introduced.
22.3.51
CofA renewed at Tamworth
27.10.51
VH-EWZ "Ulm" operated scheduled Tamworth-Armidale return, East-West Airlines' final Avro Anson service.
10.51
East-West Airlines advertised VH-EWZ for sale, including all Anson spare parts
6.11.51
Change of ownership: Airlines (WA) Ltd, Perth WA
7.11.51
Refuelled at Adelaide-Parafield on its delivery flight to Perth. Silver with "Ulm" on nose both sides in red.
11.51
Airlines (WA) Ltd hurriedly purchased Ansons VH-EWZ and VH-BMQ as temporary replacements while their fleet of DH.104 Doves was grounded following the structural failure of Dove VH-AQO near Kalgoorlie on 15 October 1951.
2.12.51
Radio failure enroute Perth-Kalgoorlie while operating a scheduled passenger service
4.53
Airlines (WA) Ltd advise DCA they plan to retire VH-EWZ later that month when Dove VH-AWA completes its Australian certification overhaul after delivery from India,
16.3.54
Change of ownership: Ove Otto Benedict Odgaard, Perth WA

Odgaard was a Perth businessman who was the Danish Consul for WA. He acquired the Anson primarily for long distance flights to support his drilling company WA Boring Co. He had been involved in aviation ventures in Perth since the 1930s.
8.9.54
Flat tyre while taxying at Perth Airport, pilot C.LeMesurier was giving Odgaard pilot training on the Anson
3.55
CofA renewal overhaul commenced by David Gray & Co at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth. The mainplane had deteriorated and required extensive rebuilding
5.55
Fuselage has been moved from Maylands to Odgaard's factory in Salvado Road, Wembley where he intends to have work carried out by an aircraft engineer. When completed the fuselage will be returned to Maylands to fit to the rebuilt mainplane
31.5.56
Test flown Maylands by Odgaard on completion of rebuild. CofA renewed
1.6.56
Odgaard departed Perth for Meekatharra on a flight to northern WA
14.2.57
Engine problems at Whyalla SA. Engine change carried out by Robbys Aircraft Co from Parafield
2.1.58
Flown Perth-Kalgoorlie, pilot Keith Baker of Bell Brothers Pty Ltd, Perth  (see Anson VH-BXC)
9.58
Based in DCA hangar at Perth Airport. By now has "WABCO" in large letters on nose
1.6.60
Flown Mount Sandiman-Carnarvon WA
27.5.61
CofA expired, not renewed. Retired at Perth Airport
15.2.62
Struck-off Civil Register as withdrawn from service
14.8.62
Burnt for fire crew practice, Perth Airport. Set alight at 9.38am, completely extinguished at 9.44am


W2598 forced landing near Kempsey NSW February 1944.                            Frank F. Smith collection


Passengers for Sydney with warm coats and rugs board East-West Airlines Anson VH-EWA at Tamworth in 1948.
Photo courtesy South Australian Aviation Museum Library


VH-EWA at BrIsbane-Eagle Farm circa 1950 on a scheduled service from Tamworth.        Photo by Gus Grulke


VH-EWZ passing through Adelaide-Parafield 9 November 1951 during its delivery flight to Airlines (WA) Ltd.
Photo by John M. Smith


VH-EWZ refuels at Esperance WA late 1951 on a scheduled Airlines (WA) Ltd service shortly after being delivered.
Such was the urgency for Ansons to replace the grounded Dove fleet, it retains East-West markings and name "Ulm".
Photo: Esperance Museum via Nicholas Kleinig


Two views of VH-EWZ's demise in an fire crew exercise at Perth Airport in August 1962.       Geoff Goodall collection




A tangled Anson fuselage frame with burnt-out vehicles at an abandoned fire service exercise ground in sandy scrub
on the eastern side of Perth Airport, seen in April 1975. Probably VH-EWZ.                     Photo by Geoff Goodall


            Anson 1              AW965                                                                                                    VH-FIA
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as AW965

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
7.12.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AW965. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton for erection ex UK
9.2.42
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier ex 1AD
15.12.42
Received No.67 Squadron, Laverton ex 2AOS
26.10.44
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 67 Sqn for complete overhaul
27.4.45
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex Guinea Airways
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage ex unit strength. Later transfered to CMU Mallala
18.2.46
Received CMU Nhill ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
22.8.46
Received Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill for under cover storage
15.9.52
Offered for disposal. RAAF record card gives no details of disposal sale.
31.3.53
Struck-off charge ex Point Cook Storage
16.8.54
Registered VH-FIA: Flinders Island Airlines Pty Ltd, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne Vic

Operated extensively on freight charter work to the Bass Strait islands and Tasmanian towns, carrying fresh seafood or meat to Melbourne markets. In later years also used on deliveries of the afternoon newspaper The Herald from Moorabbin to Victorian and southern NSW country towns.
1.1.62
Ceased over-water flights because of the DCA ANO restricting Anson operations. Tasmania and Bass Strait charters now flown by the company Beech D18S VH-FID. Remained in full serviceuntilk the final Anson grounding

VH-FIA remained in freight service until the final DCA Anson type grounding date 30.6.62.
30.6.62
VH-FIA flew the newspaper delivery run from Moorabbin. On return to Moorabbin, it joined Ansons VH-FIC and VH-BSF in a formation flypast over Melbourne city and suburbs to mark the end of the Anson era.
30.6.62
CofA suspended due to DCA Policy.  VH-FIA total airframe time 5,641 hrs 45 mins.

VH-FIA and -FIC were parked on the grass opposite the FIA hangar, by the pine trees
1.63
Sold for 25 to Australian Aircraft Restoration Group, Moorabbin Vic
AARG members were collecting and storing aircraft for a planned aviation museum at Moorabbin Airport
4.63
Dismantled at Moorabbin by AARG members and sections moved to a property near Lilydale Vic for storage.
1.66
Moved by road back to Moorabbin Airport where AARG had established a compound for their Moorabbin Air Museum. The airframe had deteriorated during 3 years of storage and was further damaged during the transporting and unloading.  This damage required repair which was beyond AARG means at that stage, so VH-FIA was stored dismantled in a work area inside the compound but exposed to the weather.
75
Still stored dismantled at rear of Moorabbin Air Museum along with a spare RAAF mainplane, all derelict from exposure to the weather.
75
A group of AARG members proposed an airworthy rebuild of VH-FIA, based on the metal fuselage frame and new-build wooden and fabric construction. Discussions were held with DCA but no work commenced.
.85
VH-FIA acquired "as is" by South Australian Aviation & Warbird Restoration Group, Adelaide.
The purpose was to provide components for the restoration of Anson EF954 which had been donated in May 1984 to the group by farmer Mr. Reg Franks at Mallala SA. EF954 was collected as a basic fuselage frame on wing centre section with engines, standing on its undercarriage.
In September 1986 the group changed name to SA Historical Aviation Museum.
4.85
VH-FIA collected at Moorabbin and moved by road to the group's first premises in the Adelaide suburb of Glenelg
90s
A new site for SA Aviation Historical Museum's aircraft collection was established at Port Adelaide, but the Anson project remained at Glenelg.

The Port Adelaide site was closed and collection of airframes and parts dispersed.
Group leading member Bob Jarrett moved to a hangar at Parafield Airport, Adelaide where he establish Classic Jets Fighter Museum
.  Anson EF954 was acquired by the newly-formed South Australian Aviation Museum at a different larger site in Port Adelaide.  Its restoration complete with wooden wing is almost complete at SAAM.


Moorabbin 1950s outside the Flinders Island Airlines hangar.                            John Hopton Collection


VH-FIA departs Moorabbin on a newspaper delivery run in May 1962, a month before grounding.   Photo by Geoff Goodall


Stored dismanted at Moorabbin Air Museum in September 1966.                             Photo by John Hopton


             Anson 1              AW967                                                                                                    VH-FIB
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as AW967

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
7.12.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AW967. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton for erection ex UK
9.2.42
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier ex 1AD
13.12.43
Receievd 1AOS Evans Head ex 2AOS
4.5.44
Issued No.2 Aircraft Park Bankstown x 1AOS for storage pending complete overhaul
27.10.44
Received Ansett Airways, Mascot ex 2AP for complete overhaul
12.6.45
Allotted 2AD Richmond ex Ansett Airways
2.7.45
Received No.6 SFTS Storage Mallala ex 2AD for under cover storage
22.2.46
Received Care & Maintenance Unit Nhill
22.8.46
Received Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill for under cover storage
15.9.52
Offered for disposal at Point Cook
31.3.53
Struck-off RAAF charge. RAAF record card gives no details of disposal sale.
23.4.56
Registered VH-FIB: Flinders Island Airlines Pty Ltd, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne Vic

Operated extensively on freight charter work to the Bass Strait islands and Tasmanian towns, carrying fresh seafood or meat to Melbourne markets.
58
By now painted with the name of a FIA associated company Air Surveys Australia.
The FIA Ansons were used on FIA freight work and aerial photographic survey work as required.
c58
Forced landing on cleared terrain near Warragul Vic, port wing damaged. On site repairs.
30.10.59
VH-FIB flew in formation with Ansons VH-BAB and VH-CAD over Melbourne to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the first Australia-USA flight, by Charles Kingsford Smith and P.G.Taylor in Lockheed Altair Lady Southern Cross.
10.2.60
Crashed near Loch Vic. Pilot B. Stage and crew P.Godkin were killed.
While carrying a load of crayfish from St Helens, Tasmania to Moorabbin with a stop at Flinders Island
, the Anson lost power on an engine which then failed. The pilot was unable to maintain altitude and the two crew members jettisoned cargo into the sea. Approaching the coastline near Loch Victoria at low altitude the pilot was forced to climb to avoid rising terrain, the aircraft stalled and crashed on a hill top and was burnt out.


Flinders Island 1958.                                                     Photo by Art Withers via Ben Dannecker collection


Wing woodwork repairs under way after a circa 1958 forced landing near Warragul Vic.


Moorabbin 7 January 1959, a month prior to its crash near Loch Victoria.                       Photo by Neil Follett


            Anson 1               AW680                 Warranga                                                                           VH-GVA. VH-BUY
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as AW680

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
27.10.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AW680. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton for erection ex UK
13.12.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 1AD
14.7.42
AW680 stationary at Main Aerodrome Mallala, was struck by Anson W2569 which ground-looped on landing
21.2.43
Heavy landing Main Aerodrome Mallala , extensive damage
2.4.44
While taxying at Main Aerodrome Mallala, port wing struck a building
29.1.45
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
30.7.45
Received 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex Guinea Airways, later transferred to Care & Maintenance Unit Mallala
18.2.46
Received CMU Nhill ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
2.9.46
Received Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill for under cover storage
15.9.52
Offered for disposal. RAAF record card gives no details of disposal sale.
31.3.53
Struck-off RAAF charge
54
Civil conversion at Essendon by engineer Les Fuller for Reginald Barnewall trading as Goulburn Valley Air Services
9.6.54
Registered VH-GVA: Goulburn Valley Air Services, Melbourne Vic. Named Waranga

Initially used to carry live crayfish from Flinders Island to the Melbourne Fish Market, using different island seafood suppliers to Flinders island Airlines.Three services weekly, dawn departure Flinders Island. Also light freight runs to Balranald NSW, dropping bundles of the Melbourne "Argus" newspaper at towns en route.
10.12.54
Aborted takeoff at Essendon for flight to Balranald, no damage. Pilot Vic Wood
24.12.54
Loss of radio contact on a flight Balranald-Essendon
28.4.55
Ownership reformed as Southern Airlines Pty Ltd, Essendon Airport, Melbourne Vic. Retained name Waranga

Now fitted with 6 removable passenger seats, commenced the new company's scheduled passenger services to Victorian towns, expanding to southern NSW and SA. The following year DH.104 Doves replaced the Ansons
6.2.56
Change of registration and ownership: VH-BUY: Carsair Air Service, Port Moresby PNG c/- R.G.Carswell

Bob Carswell was an experienced aircraft engineer and pilot with a maintenance and sales business at Archerfield Airport, Brisbane. In 1956 he established a charter operation at Port Moresby, trading as Carsair Air Service (PNG) Pty Ltd. Carsair operated with Avro Ansons as well as Lockheed 10B VH-CMA, Lockheed 12A VH-ABH, Norseman VH-ASS, Avro 19 VH-BIX, Beech 17 VH-ACU.

23.2.56
VH-BUY taxied at Essendon for departure to Wagga on its delivery flight, pilot Max Hopp. Returned to hangar due magneto fault.
58
Carswell withdrew from Papua New Guinea in 1958, blaming DCA refusal to issue Carsair an airline licence for scheduled services to Tapini and other ports it regularly served. Most Carsair aircraft returned to Archerfield.

Appears VH-BUY remained in New Guinea, probably u/s.
23.3.62
DCA Head Office queried the status of VH-BUY with PNG Region, which replied "VH-BUY has been scrapped by now"
23.3.62
Struck-off Register as scrapped


VH-GVA at Essendon 1954 as a freighter, "Goulburn Valley Air Services" above the windows.    Photo by Eddie Coates


Closeup view of VH-GVA after fitted with passenger seats and curtains.
John Hopton Collection

Moorabbin 1955 with Southern Airlines name and logo.                                        Photo by Eddie Coates

Anson XII NL153 to VH-PDC, VH-GVB:  refer AVRO ANSONS - LATE MODELS in this series


              Anson 1               AW658                                                                                           VH-GVD, VH-FIC
41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as AW658

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
10.10.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AW658. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
6.12.41
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP 
23.1.45
Issued to Guinea Airways Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
3.9.45
Received 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex Guinea Airways, later transferred to Care & Maintenance Unit Mallala
18.2.46
Received CMU Nhill ex CMU Mallala for undercover storage
2.9.46
Received Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill for under cover storage
15.9.52
Offered for disposal at Point Cook
31.3.53
Struck-off RAAF charge. RAAF record card gives no details of disposal sale.
55
Owned by Air Operations Pty Ltd, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne Vic
16.6.55
Aircraft log: AW658 completed civil conversion overhaul at Moorabbin by Air Operations Pty Ltd painted as VH-AOC

Immediately sold to Southern Airlines Pty Ltd, who requested DCA to allocated a registration in their VH-GV series.
DCA replied that as VH-AOC had been a reservation only, VH-GVD was now allocated to AW658
2.7.55
First test flight Moorabbin, painted as VH-GVD
22.7.55
Registered VH-GVD: Southern Airlines Pty Ltd, Essendon Aorport, Melbourne Vic

Replaced Southern Airlines' Avro 12 VH-GVB which crashed on landing at Corowa NSW in March 1955. Flown on scheduled services to Victorian, southern NSW and SA towns with Anson VH-GVA until replaced by DH.104 Doves
1.12.56
noted at Essendon in full Southern Airlines markings
2.7.57
Log: last flight for Southern Airlines. Total airframe time: 2,198 hrs
17.7.57
Change of ownership and registration VH-FIC: Flinders Island Airlines Pty Ltd, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne Vic

Operated extensively on freight charter work to the Bass Strait islands and Tasmanian towns, carrying fresh seafood or meat to Melbourne markets
27.4.59
Operated inaugural newspaper delivery to Corowa NSW for a new contract with the Melbourne afternoon newspaper
"The Herald". This contract added Victorian towns and was an important FIA charter for the next decade.

61
Repainted with name of FIA associated company Air Surveys Australia, but flown for both operations
30.6.62
Last flight prior to DCA Type Grounding at midnight that night. Moorabbin-Corowa newspaper delivery.On return to Moorabbin, it joined Ansons VH-FIA and VH-BSF in a formation flypast over Melbourne city and suburbs to mark the end of the Anson era.
30.6.62
CofA suspended due to DCA Policy. Total airframe time 3,774 hours

Ansons VH-FIA and VH-FIC parked on grass Moorabbin opposite the FIA hangar
2.63
Reported that VH-FIC was to be moved to a holiday resort at Twin Lakes Vic, but nothing eventuated

Sold to Darebin Motor Wreckers, Darebin Road, Northcote, Melbourne
15.12.63
Moved from Moorabbin to Darebin Motor Wreckers. Towed on its main wheels behind a truck. Wings had been sawn off outboard of the engines and the port wing was strapped to the roof of the truck for the tow. Starboard wing and tailplane moved several days later.

Fuselage standing on its undercarriage parked next to the entry gate to the motor wreckers yard as an eye catcher. Wings were dumped on the ground nearby.Condition deteriorated quickly due weather exposure and vandalism.
65
Carted away as scrap


Essendon 1955.                                                                         Photo by Eddie Coates


Essendon 1957.                                                                  Photo by Barrie Colledge


Moorabbin 1958, now VH-FIC with Flinders Island Airlines but still in Southern Airlines paintwork. Photo by Jeff Atkinson


Moorabbin February 1962 operational, with name of FIA associate Air Surveys Australia.      Photo by Gary Haywood
 


The crew on VH-FIC's last flight wrote this message on the fuselage side                 Photo by Bob Neate


Retired at Moorabbin May 1963 after a year parked out on the grass.             Photo by Geoff Goodall


Darebin Motor Wreckers yard in the Melbourne suburb of Northcote during February 1964.    Photo by Bob Neate


            Anson 1               AW867                                                                                          VH-ICA
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as AW867

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
28.11.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AW867. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
9.2.42
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount gambuer ex 2AP
5.12.42
Received No.67 Squadron Laverton ex 2AOS
18.10.44
Issued Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 67 Sqn for complete overhaul
19.3.45
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex Guinea Airways
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex unit strength, later transferred to Care & Maintenance Unit Mallala
18.2.46
Received CMU Nhill ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
2.9.46
Receieved Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill for under cover storage
15.9.52
Offered for disposal. RAAF record card gives no details of disposal sale.
31.3.53
Struck-off RAAF charge
4.53
AW867's Cheetah engines and propellers are being overhaulled by Schutt Aircraft Sales & Service, Moorabbin Vic.
Aircraft RAAF log book indicates only 78 hours flying time since last engine and airframe overhaul
(compiler: Guinea Airways 1945)

7.4.53
Civil Registration Application: Inter Coastal Airlines, Melbourne Vic c/- Roy Goon
29.5.53
CofA issued as a freighter, 2 crew seats only
29.5.53
Registered VH-ICA
28.5.54
Annual CofA renewal
21.7.54
Change of ownership:  Australian Aircraft Sales, Sydney NSW
17.10.55
Change of ownership: West Darling Air Service Pty Ltd c/- Australian Aircraft Sales, Sydney NSW

WDAS was one of six associated companies formed by AAS founder John P. Conley, between which AAS aircraft were transferred.
4.2.56
Crashed on landing at Wanaaring NSW. Starboard tyre blew out on landing, causing a violent swing off the runway and undercarriage torn off. Aircraft wrecked, pilot unhurt.
7.3.56
Struck-off Civil Register
6.66
The remains of VH-ICA inspected by Bob Neate in scub on Wanaaring airfield. Totally derelict, several parts were marked "AW867".  The remains were washed away in floods later that year.


VH-ICA at Moorabbin 1953.                                                A.J.Jackson Collection via Eddie Coates


              Anson 1             W2135                                                                                           VH-ICB, VH-AOA
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2135

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2135. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
21.7.41
Received No.2 Air Navigation School, Mount Gamber ex 2AP. 2ANS moved to Nhill 9.41
29.11.41
Issued to Ansett Airways Essendon ex 2ANS
7.1.42
Received No.1 Aircraft Depot ex Ansett Airways
17.1.42
Received 2ANS Nhill ex 1AD
10.2.43
Starboard wing of taxying Anson DG728 struck nose of W2135 at Nhill
23.9.43
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier ex 2ANS
25.11.43
Received No.1 Wireless Air Gunners School, Ballarat ex 2AOS
20.12.43
Receievd 2AOS ex 1WAGS
15.1.45
Isssued to Ansett Airways, Essendon ex 2AOS for complete overhaul
4.6.45
Receved 1AD Laverton ex Ansett Airways
14.6.45
Received 6SFTS Storage Reserve Mallala ex 1AD for under cover storage. Transferred to CMU Mallala
21.4.47
Received Air Ground Radio School, Ballarat ex CMU Mallala
27.2.48
Received 3AD Amberley ex AGRS
17.9.48
Received School of Air Navigation, East Sale ex 3AD
29.3.49
Forced landing Esendon due engine low oil pressure
16.10.50
Received 1AD Detachment B, Tocumwal ex SAN for storage
15.9.52
Offered for disposal
7.10.52
Sold by Dept of Supply to Messrs Murdoch, Burgoyne and Blackman, Melbourne
23.5.53
Struck-off RAAF charge
11.11.53
Registered VH-ICB: Inter Coastal Airlines, Melbourne Vic
27.1.56
Change of ownership: Aircraft Engine & Overhaul Service, Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne Vic
6.4.56
Reregistered VH-AOA
26.8.56
Change of ownership: Papuan Air Transport Ltd - Patair, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
58
Retired at Port Moresby
5.8.58
Struck-off Register as withdrawn from service
58
Donated by Patair to a childrens kindergarten in Port Moresby


Moorabbin 1956                                                                                         Dick Hourigan collection


            Anson 1              W2070                RMA Fortesque, RMA Blackwood                                             VH-MMB
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2070

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
10.5.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2070. Received No.! Aircraft Depot, Laverton for erection ex UK
13.5.41
Log book: assembly completed at Laverton
21.5.41
Log book: first test flight Laverton after assembly
27.5.41
Issued No.4 Service Flying Training School, Geraldton ex 1AD
3.1.43
While parked was struck by taxying Anson  W2043 at Geraldton
17.3.43
Undercarriage collapsed during ground loop on landing Kojarena satellite airfield. Repaired by unit.
8.1.45
Issued to Australian National Airways, Maylands Aerodrome, Perth ex 4SFTS for complete overhaul
26.11.45
Received No.4 Central Recovery Depot Storage, Boulder WA ex ANA
21.3.46
Received No.14 Aircraft Repair Depot, Pearce ex 4CRD Storage for completion of overhaul
13.5.46
Received CMU Geraldton ex 14ARD for under cover storage
28.1.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to MacRobertson Miller Aviation Co, Perth WA
17.2.47
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Geraldton

Ferried by MMA crew from Geraldton to Maylands Aerodrome, Perth

Civil conversion overhaul at Maylands by MMA
13.6.47
Test flight Maylands after overhaul, flown MMA Captain Cyril Kleinig
18.6.47
CofA issued
18.7.47
Registered VH-MMB: MacRobertson-Miller Aviation Co Pty Ltd, Perth WA.  Named "RMA Fortesque"
28.7.48
While taxying at Onslow WA, starboard wingtip struck a shed, minor damage
23.11.49
Brakes failed landing Warrawagine WA, aircraft rolled through a fence. Damaged repaired on site
1.10.55
Ownership transferred to Commercial Aviation Pty Ltd, Perth
Continued in MMA service, by now renamed "RMA Blackwood"

Book-keeping exercise: MMA DC-3, Dove and Anson aircaft were at times transferred to this associated holding company Commercial Aviation, which was an early company operated by MMA founder Captain Horrie Miller.

11.57
DCA file memo from WA Region: remaining MMA Ansons VH-MMB and VH-MMH are now used only for MMA scheduled services to Rottnest Island, plus occasional charter or photographic survey jobs. Both are held in reserve for the MMA Dove contract to the Royal Flying Doctor Service Derby WA base.
5.3.59
CofA expired. Retired at Perth Airport.
MMA advise DCA they had intended to overhaul VH-MMB for a pending sale to another operator but that sale was not finalised. CofA will not be renewed.
3.59
DCA file memo from WA Region: "VH-MMB is probably in much better condition than the average Anson currently operating in Australia"
8.59
MMA advise DCA that VH-MMB is being dismantled at Perth Airport and that wings have been sawn off outboard of each engine.
28.3.60
Struck-off Civil Register: "Scrapped"


VH-MMB "RMA Blackwood" at Darwin March 1956 in good company.                                Photo by Peter Keating


VH-MMB a year earlier in February 1955 as "RMA Fortesque", at Glenroy Station in the far north of WA.


              Anson 1              R3548               RMA Strelley                                                      VH-MMC
.40
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as R3548

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
15.7.40
Taken on RAAF charge as R3548. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
8.8.40
Aircraft logbook: assembly completed Bankstown
11.8.40
Aircraft logbook: first test flight
19.8.40
Received No.2 Service Flying Training School, Wagga ex 2AP
22.2.41
Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex 2SFTS
28.2.41
Received 4SFTS Geraldton ex 1AD
9.3.43
Minor damage in mid air collision with Anson R3555 at Geraldton
29.2.44
Forced landing 4 miles SE Georgina Satellite airfield. Repaired by unit.
13.1.45
Received ANA Maylands ex 4SFTS for complete overhaul
18.8.45
Progress on repairs stopped
26.11.45
Received No.4 Central Recovery Depot Storage, Boulder WA ex ANA
21.3.46
Received No.14 Aircraft Repair Depot, Pearce ex 4CRD Storage for completion of overhaul
10.4.46
Received Care & Maintenance Unit Geraldton for under cover storage
8.5.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission to MacRobertson Miller Aviation Co, Perth WA
30.5.47
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Geraldton

Ferried by MMA crew from Geraldton to Maylands Aerodrome, Perth

Civil conversion overhaul at Maylands by MMA
24.6.47
Registered VH-MMC: MacRobertson-Miller Aviation Co Pty Ltd, Perth WA.  Named "RMA Strelley"
24.7.47
CofA issued, pilot and 8 passenger seats
9.1.53
noted at Perth Airport, allover silver with black lettering. "RMA Strelley" on nose in red
1.10.55
Ownership transferred to Commercial Aviation Pty Ltd, Perth
Continued in MMA service, by now renamed "RMA Blackwood"

Book-keeping exercise: MMA DC-3, Dove and Anson aircaft were at times transferred to this associated holding company Commercial Aviation, which was an early company operated by MMA founder Captain Horrie Miller.
13.9.56
Change of ownership: Papuan Air Transport Ltd - Patair, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
12.10.58
CofA expired, not renewed

Reportedly donated by Patair to a school in Port Moresby for the childrens playground


Perth Airport shortly after civil conversion.                                                              Photo: MMA


VH-MMC at Victoria River Downs Station NT in May 1952.               Photo by Phil McCulloch


Port Moresby circa 1957 while in service with Papuan Air Transport.             Photo via Ray Vuillermin


             Anson 1              MG729                                                                                    VH-NGG
.44
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory, to RAF order as MG729

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
14.2.44
Taken on RAAF charge as MG729. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
13.3.44
Received No.4 Service Flying Training School, Geraldton ex 2AP
19.11.44
Received Air Gunnery School, West Sale ex 4SFTS
19.3.45
Received General Reconnaissance School, Bairnsdale ex AGS
11.2.46
Received RAAF Station East Sale ex GRS for under cover storage
14.5.46
Offered to Commonwealth Disposals Commission for disposal
11.10.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission fo 250 to D.W.Malcolm, 91 Macleay Street, Sydney
7.11.46
Issued to purhaser ex RAAF Station East Sale
3.48
Registration application: Guinea Air Traders Ltd, Lae, New Guinea.
Requested registration VH-NGG for "New Guinea Gold" because GAT's contracts to serve the Bulolo/Wau gold fields
12.3.48
Registered VH-NGG Guinea Air Traders Ltd, Lae, New Guinea
12.3.48
CofA issued Sydney
22.2.49
Arrived Archerfield Qld from New Guinea for annual CofA renewal overhaul
11.3.49
CofA expired. Parked outside at Archerfield.
GAT's New Guinea charter operations were in dissaray due poor local management while GAT head office in Sydney concentrated on its DC-3 migrant charters Rome and Athens to Sydney.

12.3.49
Struck-off Register. Still retired outside at Archerfield, deterioration due weather exposure.


Archerfield 1949 out on the grass after CofA expiry.                                           Photo by Gus Grulke

Anson XII NL153 to VH-PDC, VH-GVB:  refer AVRO ANSONS - LATE MODELS in this series

Avro 19 VH-RCC  refer AVRO ANSONS - LATE MODELS in this series


             Anson 1             MG271                   The Islander                                                       VH-WAA to VH-WAC                                             
43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory, to RAF order as MG271

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
6.12.43
Taken on RAAF charge as MG271. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
13.3.44
Received No.4 Service Flying Training School, Geraldton ex 2AP
17.11.44
Received Air Gunnery School, West Sale ex 4SFTS
18.4.45
Received General Reconnaissance School, Bairnsdale ex AGS
7.6.45
Received 3AOS Port Pirie for under cover storage
3.2.46
Transferred No.5 Central Recovery Depot Storage, Port Pirie ex 3AOS
12.12.46
Sold though Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr.W.R.Bedford, Kyancutta SA

Not collected by Mr.Bedford, left at RAAF Port Pirie in hangar
11.9.47
Letter to RAAF from CDC advises sale cancelled
23.9.47
Sold though Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Captain J. Woods, St Georges Terrace, Perth
9.47
Captain James Woods requested DCA approval to ferry MG271, MH219 & MG841 from South Australia to Perth

W.R.Bedford owned Tiger Moths and an Auster VH-WRB at Kyancutta SA. He wrote in a letter to the compiler:
"We purchased two Ansons from Port Pirie and ferried one to Kyancutta, the other we left at Port Pirie. In the meantime we sold them both to Captain James Woods of Perth. I believe he purchased a further Anson from Port Pirie himself for spare parts."
2.10.47
Civil Registration Application: Woods Airways Pty Ltd, Perth WA
DCA allocated VH-BJY but Woods requested VH-WAA which was allocated
11.47
DCA file memo: All three Ansons purchased by Woods are at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth. Work has commenced on civil conversion of MG271
15.1.48
Test flown Maylands after civil conversion, pilot Cyril Kleinig of MMA
15.1.48
CofA issued, fitted with 7 passenger seats
15.1.48
Registered VH-WAA: Woods Airways Pty Ltd, Perth WA.  Named The Islander
5.3.48
Commenced scheduled airline services between Maylands-Rottnest Island, 22 miles.
Rottnest Island was a popular holiday location for Perth citizens but the boat ferries were slow and prone to uncomfortable seas enroute. Airlines (WA) Ltd also held a licence for Perth-Rottnest but their schedules were minimal
20.4.48
VH-WAA departed Perth on a charter flight to Boome WA, flown by Captain James Woods
2.5.48
VH-WAA back on the Rottnest service
11.48
DCA advised Woods Airways that registration VH-WAA was no longer available due conflict with new International standard radiotelephonyprocedures. DCA's letter helpfully suggested it could be changed to VH-WAC, which was still reserved for Woods for Anson MH219.
12.48
Reregistered VH-WAC
.50
Woods Airways moved from Maylands to Perth Airport
7.4.50
Undercarriage collapsed on landing Runway 11 at Perth Airport, minor damage
22.6.51
VH-WAC noted at Perth Airport: all silver, black  lettering, red trim on nose and leading edge of wings
55
Detailed DCA review of Woods Airways operating standards following years of frustrating disputes with James Woods. The veteran airman's disdain for officialdom made him extremely difficult to deal with. Woods publicised Departmental ultimatums in the Perth newspapers and won considerable public sympathy and patonage.
Main areas of concern were airworthiness of his Ansons which he worked on himself and engaged licenced aircraft engineers on a casual basis to sign off. The airline had no workshop, renting space in the ANA hangar at Perth Airport
2.12.58
Annual CofA expired. Not renewed. Parked in ANA hangar Perth Airport.
Woods Airways by now had strong competetion from MMA who operated DC-3s and Doves to Rottnest
31.12.61
Woods Airways ceased operations on the very final day prior to the DCA Air Navigation Order prohibiting Ansons from carrying passengers and/or over-water flights. VH-WAC & VH-WAB retired in ANA hangar Perth Airport
19.1.62
DCA WA Region memo to Head Office Melbourne: James Woods had been negotiating the sale of both his Ansons to Netherlands Air Force in Netherlands New Guinea but not finalised. Instead he will donate them to WA friends on farms for their children to play in. WA Region is agreeable to issuing ferry permits for their delivery flights.
22.2.62
Struck-of Civil Register
25.3.62
Ferried by Woods from Perth Airport to Mr. Peter Seabrook's farm "Seabourne" at Greenhills, Gwambygine near York WA. Parked near the farmhouse and donated to the Seabrook family.
9.1.64
noted at the farm, parked in the open but still in good condition
13.6.71
noted at the farm, now in poor condition. A recent attempt had been made by an aviation group from Northam WA to tow the aircraft away from the farm, but both main undercarriage legs collapsed after a short distance. It was  abandoned and left on its belly.
.77
Acquired by Air Force Association (WA Division) Inc, Bull Creek, Perth
Moved from Gwambygine to the AFA Estate at Bull Creek, Perth by a party from the Royal Aero Club of WA. Stored in the AFA museum group's fenced compound, by now the Anson was in very poor condition

AFA museum group concentrated its efforts on the restoration of Anson VH-BEL from Kalgoorlie. It became a key exhibit when the Aviation Heritage Museum was opened in November 1979 in a new building on the AFA estate at Bull Creek. VH-WAC was broken up for parts, only the nose section was saved

Nose section VH-WAC "The Islander" is displayed at Aviation Heritage Museum, Bull Creek Perth.


Jimmy Woods on a low approach over the boundary fence Maylands Aerodrome, Perth 1949         Photo by Fred Cherry


Woods Airways' two Ansons VH-WAB & VH-WAC at Perth Airport early 1950s.              Geoff Goodall collection


VH-WAC in a later paint scheme at Perth Airport circa 1957.                               Geoff Goodall collection


Jimmy Woods (centre) with Peter Seabrook and family on 25 March 1962 at their Gwambygine farm on the day Woods
delivered VH-WAC from Perth for the children to play in.
                 Geoff Goodall collection


Seabrook's farm June 1971, undercarriage had retracted during an earlier abandoned attempt to tow it on its wheels from
the farm by a well-intentioned aircraft restoration group.                                       Photo by Geoff Goodall



May 1977 at the Air Force Association estate at Bull Creek, Perth, stored in the AFA museum group's compound,
pending the building of the WA Aviation Heritage Museum on the site.             Photo by Geoff Goodall


VH-WAC's nose section displayed in the Aviation Heritage Museum, Bull Creek Perth.        Photo by Terry Fletcher


           Anson 1               MG841              Willem de Vlamingh                                                                   VH-WAB
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory, to RAF order as MG841

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
24.2.44
Taken on RAAF charge as MG841. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
10.4.44
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 2AP
11.3.45
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Port Pirie ex 8SFTS
10.6.45
Transferred to 3AOS Storage ex 3AOS
1.2.46
Transferred to No.5 Central Recovery Depot, Port Pirie ex 3AOS for under cover storage. Total airframe time 302 hrs
10.10.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 450 to Mr. W. R. Bedford, Kyancutta SA
4.7.47
Issued to purchaser
-
Ferried from Port Pirie to Kycancutta SA by W.R. Bedford

W.R.Bedford owned Tiger Moths and an Auster VH-WRB at Kyancutta SA. He wrote in a letter to the compiler:
"We purchased two Ansons from Port Pirie and ferried one to Kyancutta, the other we left at port Pirie. In the meantime we sold them both to Captain James Woods of Perth. I believe he purchased a further Anson from Port Pirie himself for spare parts."

On 23.9.47 James Woods purchased Ansons MG271 and MH219 at CDC sales at RAAF Port Pirie
9.47
Telegram to DCA Perth from Woods requesting ferry approval for him to fly MG271 and MH219 from Port Pirie to Perth. "These two plus MG841 have passed from the possession of Mr. R. Bedford"
10.47
MG271, MG841 and MH219 are all at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth.
6.10.47
Civil Registration application: Woods Airways Pty Ltd, Perth WA
DCA allocated VH-BKE, Woods replied requesting VH-WAB which was approved

Woods Airways was founded by veteran WA aviator Captain James Woods who had held senior pilot positions with West Australian Airways and later MacRoberson-Miller Aviation Co. He had been dismissed by MMA as a result of the takeoff crash of MMA Lockheed 10 VH-ABW at Broome in June 1946 an was looking for a new flying venture.

Woods Airways Pty Ltd was registered 4.12.47 with Woods as Managing Director. Its only route was Perth-Rottnest Island-Perth although some charter flights were made.  Airline services commenced 5.3.48 from Maylands Aerodrome to Rottnest with two Ansons.
7.10.47
DCA WA Region memo: Woods has arranged with MMA to commence civil conversion of MG841 immediately, to be fitted with 7 passenger seats
11.47
DCA WA Region memo: MG271/VH-WAA, MG841/VH-WAB and MH219/VH-WAC are at Maylands awaiting civil overhauls. The mainplanes of WAB and WAC have been condemned due poor glue adhesion in wooden joints and will be replaced by spare Anson mainplanes received from RAAF No.10 Stores Depot at Merredin WA.

In 1.53 the original mainplane of MG841 (VH-WAB) was seen in grass at Maylands Aerodrome alongside the derelict Anson MH219 (allocated VH-WAC but no civil conversion)
2.48
Undergoing work on civil conversion by MMA at Maylands
25.10.48
Test flown Maylands on completion, pilot MMA Captain Cyril Kleinig
25.10.48
CofA issued, 7 passenger seats
25.10.48
Registered VH-WAB Woods Airways Pty Ltd, Perth WA 
Named Willem de Vlamingh after the Dutch sailor explorer who was the first European to land on Rottnest Island in December 1696
12.48
VH-WAA and VH-WAB are in service on Woods Airways' twice daily return passenger services Maylands-Rottnest Island. Both have identical cabin seating layout.
10.49
Annual CofA renewal overhaul carried out by Aero Service Pty Ltd at Maylands

Subsequent engine and airframe maintenance carried out by James Woods assisted by local Licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineers engaged on a part-time basis.
.50
Woods Airways moved from Maylands to Perth Airport
22.6.51
VH-WAB noted at Perth Airport, all silver with back lettering, red trim on nose and leading edge of wings

Jimmy Woods had little regard for officialdom, resulting in continuous long-running disputes with DCA while he ignored Departmental instructions, including moving from Maylands to Perth Airport, fitting radio to his Ansons and routinely operating overloaded. In 1955 DCA suspended his pilot licence because continued to takeoff on the easterly runway at Rottnest which DCA Head Office had recently deemed too short, despite his using it for 7 years without incident - he appealed and won, proving the DCA calculations were incorrect.
5.54
DCA inspection report: aircraft condition is unsatisfactory. Has flown 1,077 hours since civil conversion.
The report includes "Captain Woods has little respect for airworthiness requirements and argues constantly with Departmental airworthiness surveyors to delay rectification of faults."

12.55
Retired for extended CofA renewal at Perth Airport and mandatory repairs listed by DCA. Completed 1.57.
6.8.59
Emergency landing Perth Airport due unsafe indications that the undercarriage had extended correctly, pilot Woods.
Landeded safely, undercarriage did not collapse.
17.9.61
Among aircraft visitors to an airshow at RAAF Pearce
5.11.61
Returned to Perth after departure for Rottnest Island due port engine failure
13.12.61
While taxying at Perth a tyre blew out, causing the aircraft to swing off Runway 06 with main wheel bogged in sand
14.12.61
Radio failure inbound to Perth on a Perth-Rottnest-Perth service
31.12.61
Final Woods Airways service Perth-Rottnest-Perth prior to DCA grounding order prohibiting Avro Ansons from cvarrying passengers or over-water flights. Pilot Captain James Woods.
Attracted much local media coverage, WA State Premier David Brand flew on the service as a passenger. A large gathering of Rottnest residents and holiday makers farewelled "Woodsy" on his last departure from the island.
31.12.61
CofA suspended due DCA Policy
19.1.62
DCA WA Region memo to Head Office Melbourne: James Woods had been negotiating the sale of both his Ansons to Netherlands Air Force in Netherlands New Guinea but not finalised. Instead he will donate them to WA friends on farms for their children to play in. WA Region is agreeable to issuing ferry permits for their delivery flights.
2.62
Ferried by James Woods from Perth Airport to Mr.Des Gaye's farming property near Borden WA.
Parked beside a stand of trees near the farm house
22.2.62
Struck-off Civil Register
31.12.62
noted parked at farm, still in good condition
5.12.69
noted standing in same position at farm, now derelict due exposure to the weather
22.1.74
noted at farm, now a derelict wreck with rotted fabric, had been dragged to the farm rubbish tip.


VH-WAB about to taxy at Rottnest Island in December 1958


VH-WAB after an emergency landing with suspect undercarriage at Perth Airport August 1959.    Geoff Goodall collection


VH-WAB on Woods Airways' final flight on New Years Eve 1961. Jimmy Woods (left) with WA State Premier
David Brand  who was an invited passenger on the last service.                            Geoff Goodall collection 



Rottnest Islanders farewell Jimmy Woods on his final departure 31.12.61.              Geoff Goodall collection


"There goes Woodsie" - seagulls and fish shed tears while people wave from yachts and the Rottnest ferry boat.
Paul Rigby cartoon, Perth "Daily News" newspaper the afternoon of Woods Airways last flight



Borden WA December 1963 on Des Gaye's farm.                                  Photo by Alistair Coutts


December 1969, by now weather exposure had taken its toll.                                Photo by Geoff Goodall


September 1975, now dragged to the farm rubbish tip area.                               Photo by Roger McDonald


              Anson 1               MH219                                                                                            (VH-WAC)
.44
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory, to RAF order as MH219

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
22.5.44
Taken on RAAF charge as MH219. Received No.1 Aircraft Park Werribee for erection ex UK
28.7.44
Received No.5 Aircraft Depot Storage. Wagga ex 1AP
28.8.44
Received No.1 Air Observers School, Evans Head ex 5AD
18.12.44
Received No.3 AOS Port Pirie ex 1AOS
15.10.45
Transferred 3AOS Storage es 3AOS for under cover storage
1.2.46
Transferred No.5 Central Recovery Depot, Port Pirie ex 3AOS Storage for under-cover storage
12.12.46
Sold though Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr.W.R.Bedford, Kyancutta SA

Not collected by Mr.Bedford, left at RAAF Port Pirie in hangar
11.9.47
Letter to RAAF from CDC advises sale cancelled
23.9.47
Sold though Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Captain J. Woods, St Georges Terrace, Perth

W.R.Bedford owned Tiger Moths and an Auster VH-WRB at Kyancutta SA. He wrote in a letter to the compiler:
"We purchased two Ansons from Port Pirie and ferried one to Kyancutta, the other we left at port Pirie. In the meantime we sold them both to Captain James Woods of Perth. I believe he purchased a further Anson from Port Pirie himself for spare parts."
9.47
Telegram to DCA Perth from Woods requesting ferry approval for him to fly MG271 and MH219 from Port Pirie to Perth. "These two plus MG841 have passed from the possession of Mr. R. Bedford"
10.47
MG271, MG841 and MH219 are all at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth.
10.47
DCA allocated registrations VH-WAA to MG271, VH-WAB to MG841 and VH-WAC reserved for Woods' future use.
11.47
DCA WA Region memo: MG271/VH-WAA, MG841/VH-WAB and MH219/VH-WAC are at Maylands awaiting civil overhauls. The mainplanes of VH-WAB and VH-WAC have been condemned due poor glue adhesion in wooden joints and will be replaced by spare Anson mainplanes received from RAAF No.10 Stores Depot at Merredin WA.

15.1.48 Anson VH-WAA CofA issued
2.48
DCA WA Region memo: Mr Woods requests that VH-WAC be retained for a further period as he is undecided whether to overhaul the aircraft for issue of CofA, or for it to be used for spare parts

25.10.48 Anson VH-WAB CofA issued
11.48
DCA advised Woods Airways that registration VH-WAA was no longer available due conflict with new International standard radiotelephony procedures. DCA's letter helpfully suggested it could be changed to VH-WAC, which was still reserved for Woods for Anson MH219.  Woods agreed.

MH219 stripped for parts at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth
9.1.53
MH219 noted at Maylands derelict, standing on its undercarriage, wings outer of the engines sawn off.  
Weathered faded RAAF camouflage paintwork with code "219" on nose, original trainer yellow paintwork showing through underneath the camouflage.


Laying in grass alongside MH219 was the complete mainplane of MG841 (VH-WAB) which was replaced by a RAAF spare mainplane during its CofA overhaul here in 1948.


Anson MH219, the prospective VH-WAC, derelict at Maylands Aerodrome in January 1953.    Photo by John M.Smith


              Anson 1               W2374                                                                                           VH-WMA
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory, to RAF order as W2374

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
27.7.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2374. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex UK for erection
29.11.41
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 1AD
11.2.42
Forced landing 12 miles south of Mallala due engine trouble, no airframe damage
19.1.43
Landed at Lower Light Satellite Field with undercarriage retracted, minor damage
28.12.43
Collided with Anson W2145 during landing at Mallala, significant damage
15.1.44
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield for repair and complete overhaul ex 6SFTS
22.1.45
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex Guinea Airways
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage ex unit equipment, for under cover storage
23.12.46
Received Benalla Care & Maintenance Unit ex 6SFTS for under cover storage
11.11.48
Received 1AD Detrachment B Tocumwal ex Benalla CMU for under cover storage
9.11.49
Received by Airflite Pty Ltd, Mascot for complete overhaul ex Tocumwal
4.9.50
Received 2AD Richmond ex Airflite fo collection by 1AD Detachment B
12.9.50
Received 1AD Detachment B Tocumwal ex 2AD for under cover storage
9.12.53
Received 2AD Richmond ex Tocumwal
1.9.54
Understand aircraft held at 3AD Amberley for 2AD
6.10.54
Authorised for disposal
27.1.55
Sold by Department of Supply to CSIRO
5.5.55
Civil Registration application:  Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation,
Division of Radio Physics,
Sydney NSW

Acquired by CSIRO to conduct rain-making experiments. Silver iodide burners were installed under the wing tips.
8.7.55
CofA issued Sydney, 2 pilot seats plus 2 seats for crew in cabin
8.7.55
Registered VH-WMA

Based at Sydney Airport (Mascot), mantained by Butler Air Transport on contract for CSIRO.
Pilot is Captain John Aitken who has engineering qualifications to allow him to carry out routine maintenance.


Major cloud seeding operations were carried out in Snowy Mountains (NSW), Darling Downs (Qld), Warren/Haddon Rig (NSW)
8.57
Operating from Port Pirie SA. Pilot Jihn Aitken, CSIRO technical officers Arthur Tapp and Bill Withers
19.8.58
Annual CofA renewal at Parafield. Airframe total time 2,824 hrs. Pilot John Aitken
24.11.58
Last flight. Arrived Sydney from Queensland in poor condition, in need of a major overhaul. The Anson had been operating at Conzinc Rio Tinto Australia's Mary Kathleen uranium mine out of Cloncurry, flown by contract pilot Jim Robinson, with Withers. The aim was to increase rainfall in the catchment area for the Corella Dam whiuch supplied the mine and town. The CRA contract was continued by Cessna 310 VH-REK.
11.58
Retired by CSIRO.The Anson was replaced by Cessna 310Bs VH-REK and VH-REL which had been imported new by CSIRO in November 1957.
12.58
VH-WMA sold "as is" to Adastra Airways Pty Ltd, Sydney Airport (trading as Adastra Aerial Surveys)
21.7.59
Registration application: Adastra Airways Pty Ltd
23.7.59
DCA advise that the requested registration VH-AGO was not available, Adastra chief engineer Jack McDonald nominated VH-AGJ instead
20.8.59
Letter to Adastra from DCA Head Office:  "As you are no doubt aware it is the policy of his Department that no more of ths type of aircraft will be approved for use in commercial operations. In addition you will recall that the condition under which this aircraft was purchased from Department of Supply was that when retired by CSIRO it would be converted to spares. In view of this, your application for registration can not be approved. Action is now being taken  to remove the aircraft from the Civil Aircraft Register."
16.12.59
Struck-off Register
59-61
VH-WMA parked outside at Adastra hangar
5.62
noted stored at the side of the Adastra hangar with wings cut off outboard of engines. No fuselage fabric, fire damage to the port engine and nacelle. Noted unchanged 12.62
63
Carted away as scrap










            Anson 1               W2599                                                                                        

Although no civil registration was allocated to this Anson, it is included because it was maintained in good condition in original trainer yellow for 20 years after the war.
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Manchester to RAF order as W2599

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
18.10.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2599. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown for erection ex UK
9.2.42
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier
10.12.43
Receievd 3AOS xxxx ex 2AOS
7.7.44
Issued to Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 3AOS for complete overhaul
2.12.44
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex Guinea Airways
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage Reserve for under cover storage. Transferred to CMU Mallala
2.3.47
Received Care & Maintenance Unit Benalla ex CMU Mallala for under cover storage
21.7.48
Sold by Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 200 to Adastra Airways Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW
1.9.48
Test flown at Benalla by Adastra pilots Joe Linfoot and Tom Carpenter
2.9.48
W2599 departed Benalla on ferry flight to Sydney, pilots Linfoot and Carpenter. Refuelled at Wagga then diverted to Cootamundra due poor weather. Arrived at Mascot Aerodrome the next day.

Stored at Adastra Airways hangar Mascot in full RAAF markings, yellow overall.
Held as a reserve for the Adastra Aerial Surveys Anson fleet but not used.
50s
Sold to Sid Marshall/ Marshall Airways, Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney

Flown Mascot-Bankstown on a DCA ferry permit

Held as a reserve for the Marshall Airways Ansons, but not used. Stored complete in hangar Bankstown
30.6.62
DCA Air Navigation Order grounding all Australian Anson Mk.1s
12.62
Sid Marshall towed his remaining Ansons VH-ASM, VH-AZX and W2599 from his hangar to open storage on grass opposite.
4.64
W2599 was broken up on the grass at Bankstown and trucked away as scrap


W2599 at Bankstown October 1961 at the Marshall Airways hangar, with DC-2 VH-CDZ.        Photo by Dave Eyre


Out on the grass at Bankstown, October 1963 with torn fabric due weather exposure.         Photo by John Hopton


Despite fuselage fabric repair, W2599 was broken up in April 1964 and carted away.            Photo by Dave Eyre



Back to the Australian Aviation Menu