Last updated 10 February 2020
AUSTRALIAN CIVIL AVRO ANSONS - Part 3  VH-BKA to VH-BVY

Compiled by Geoff Goodall

Continuing the listing of RAAF Ansons sold by post-war military disposals which became civil registered


Former RAAF Avro Ansons under rebuild as civil airliners by East West Airlines at Tamworth NSW circa 1949.
The panel with psssenger windows is being installed to replace the military glasshouse.   Geoff Goodall collection

           Anson 1            LV211                                                                                                            VH-BKA
.43
Built by A.V. Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory, to RAF order as LV211

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
14.9.43
Taken on RAAF charge as LV211.  Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
11.12.43
Received AGS Sale ex 2AP
3.9.45
Transferred to AGS Storage Reserve, West Sale ex unit equipment
30.6.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to F/Lt H.A.McDonald,
No.1 Communications Unit, RAAF Laverton Victoria

Ferried from West Sale to Essendon for civil conversion
27.11.47
Civil Registration Application: F/Lt H.A.McDonald, RAAF Amberley Queensland
Application states base will be Adelaide, along with McDonald's other Anson VH-BLS
23.12.47
Weighed on DCA scales at Essendon, owner's representative D.J.Bourke of Brown & Dureau Ltd, Geelong
24.12.47
Registered VH-BKA
24.12.47
CofA issued. Freighter, 2 crew seats only

Aircraft in care of Brown & Dureau Ltd, Belmont Common, Geelong Vic
5.48
Ferried Geelong to Bankstown Aerdorome, Sydney where stored in Brown & Dureau hangar

(6.48 letter to DCA from Corio Air Engineers (David J.Bourke) which had taken over Brown & Dureau Ltd's business at Belmont Common:  Anson DJ287(VH-BLS) is almost ready for test flight. Its owner Flt Lt McDonald also has W1532 and W2575 at Belmont Common waiting for civil conversions.)
10.48
Ownership changed to H.A. McDonald, Balmain, Sydney
23.12.48
Annual CofA expired, not renewed
6.8.51
Struck-off Register in 1951 DCA Census of unairworrthy aircraft
-
Sold to A. A. Aberline, Brighton-le-Sands, Sydney NSW
25.2.52
Sold to Reginald Geary trading as Sydney Air Taxi, Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney NSW.
Legal agreement of that date transfers ownership of Ansons VH-BKA and VH-BLS from Aberline to Geary based on a cash payment to Abeline in addition to Geary taking over the 256 hangarage fees owed to DCA.
3.52
Geary negotiated a payment scheme of 30 per month with DCA so that he could take delivery of the Ansons which he intended to put into service as soon as possible. Sydney Air Taxi operated Percival Vega Gull VH-BQA, Proctor VH-BQQ and Genairco Cabin VH-UUI.
-
Ansons VH-BKA and VH-BLS ferried to Evans Head NSW where unused RAAF hangars were available for aircraft storage
6.56
DCA refuse to renew Charter Licence for Reginald Geary, previously trading as Sydney Air Taxi. The file includes the following reference:
"Geary also has outstanding payments due for hangarage at Evans Head for Avro Ansons VH-BKA and VH-BLS which he had purchased from A.Aberline, Sydney in February 1953 (stet)."
8.56
DCA commences legal action against Geary for hangarage fees owed at Bankstown and also Evans Head NSW where Anson VH-BKA has been stored unairworthy.
.56
Anson VH-BKA evicted from the hangar at Evans Head and left outside

Became derelict due effects of weather and vandals. Totally wrecked by January 1959


The remains of VH-BKA at Evans Head aerodrome in January 1959.                Photo by Dave Eyre

           Anson 1           DJ172                                                                                                             VH-BKL
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as DJ172

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
31.8.42
Taken on RAAF charge as DJ172. Under assembly Point Cook ex UK
21.9.42
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex Point Cook
25.4.45
Issued Ansett Airways Essendon ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
29.10.45
Received No.2 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex Ansett Airways
3.12.45
Received No.1 Communications Unit Laverton ex 1AD
4.3.46
Issued Care & Maintenance Unit Wagga storage detachment Cootamundra ex 1CU
10.12.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to B. J. Clifton, Forbes NSW

B.J.Clifton established Clifton's Western Airways Ltd, Forbes to operate scheduled services between Forbes and other NSW towns and Sydney. He purchased 4 Ansons DJ172, MG923, MG871 and MG921. The company was a victim of DCA's early post-war policy not to issue any new Airline Licences. It was callously implemented by continual delaying of a decision until the applicant exhausted all their finances.
.47
DJ172 was resold while still stored at Cootamundra to East West Airlines, Tamworth NSW
21.10.47
Ferried Cootamundra-Tamworth for inspection by EWA maintenance
29.10.47
Ferried Tamworth-Geelong for civil conversion to EWA specifications by Brown & Dureau Ltd
1.4.48
Test flown after conversion at Belmont Common airfield, Geelong Vic
1.4.48
Registered VH-BKL East West Airlines, Tamworth NSW

Operated EWA scheduled passenger services
5.12.50
Crashed during forced landing in apple orchard near Stanthorpe Qld.
Scheduled EWA service from Brisbane to Glen Innes NSW flown by Captain Archie J.Smith with 3 passengers.  Wheels-up landing made because of smoke from the port engine was filling the cockpit.
Aircraft wrecked but no injuries. Arch Smith described the landing in his book East West Eagles:
"There was no bump, no tearing noise - it was as smooth as silk. The large radial engine cowls scooped up the dirt and the young trees bent over and slipped underneath us. The effect was heavy but smooth deceleration at the end of which the aircraft slewed to the left and stopped with the nose close to the wall of a fruit packing shed. I remember looking through the windscreen straight through a window of the shed as two faces stared incredulously at me and the aircraft. My passengers were seated in a rather dazed condition but unharmed. I suggested they disembark as we had reached the end of our journey by air, even if not our destination."


VH-BKL at Belmont Common airfield Geelong Vic April 1948. Brown & Dureau Ltd have completed the
civil conversion and the Anson waits to be collected by East West Airlines.                   Photo by Bob Fripp
 

Eagle Farm Aerodrome, Brisbane 1950.                                                       Photo by Gus Grulke


VH-BKL forced landing near Stanthorpe Qld 5 December 1950.                 Photo by Archie Smith

              Anson 1           LT784                                                                                                             VH-BKT
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as LT784

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
16.8.43
Taken on RAAF charge as LT784. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
11.11.43
Received No.3 Bombing and Gunnery School, West Sale ex 2AP
12.12.43
Received Air Gunnery School, West Sale ex 3BAGS
3.9.45
Transferred to AGS Storage ex unit equipment.
11.2.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr.W.Dwyer,Melbourne Vic
19.5.47
Collected by purchaser ex Care & Maintenance Unit, West Sale
20.2.48
Civil Registration application: Second City Air Services, Melbourne Vic c/o Mr. M. Clausen.
Application stated to be based at Essendon Aerodrome and used for passenger charter.
3.3.48
DCA allocate registration VH-BKT to LT784

Second City Air Services had been established in 1947 by partners Noel Clausen and J.G. "Jack" Willis at Thorpdale, Gippsland Victoria. Both had been RAAF aircraft ground engineers during WWII.  Their plan was to operate scheduled passenger services between Melbourne and the Gippsland district towns of Warragul, Traralgon, Sale and Bairnsdale.
48
Air Operations Pty Ltd at Essendon was contracted to carry out the civil conversion on LT784. Progress was slow due lack of finance. The SCAS partners purchased twoRAAF disposals Wackett Trainers to be used  for joyriding to raise funds for the Anson airline service.
10.12.48
VH-BKT first test flight Essendon, pilot Jack Gillies, a partner in Air Operations Pty Ltd
28.1.49
Pilot log book Jack Gillies: VH-BKT test light Essendon
4.2.49
Pilot log book Jack Gillies: VH-BKT local flight from the newly-built Moorabbin Aerodrome, Melbourne

Civil certification delayed pending issue of an airline licence to SCAS
49
DCA would not issue an airline licence to Second City Air Services. The Department was concerned that the many similar airline applications from ex-service airmen using military disposals aircraft lacked the financial backing and operational structure to maintain a safe scheduled airline operation.
11.10.49
Registered VH-BKT Second City Air Services, Melbourne Vic.
11.10.49
CofA issued at Essendon. 7 passenger seats with individual window panels replacing RAAF glasshouse
17.10.49
DCA file memo: "owner of BKT states his intention of disposing of the aircraft immediately, and will not pay Air Navigation Charges pending sale. Thus no issue of Certificate of Registration. Aircraft may be ferried to Moorabbin." 
5.12.49
Change of ownership: Air Operations Pty Ltd, Essendon Aerodrome, Melboune Vic
Sold to Air Operations as part of the settlement of outstanding maintenance and hangarage debt.
Certificate of Registration now issued and back-dated to 11.10.49.
10.12.49
Pilot log book Jack Gillies: VH-BKT local flight Essendon
1.50
Stored pending sale in Air Operations hangar at Moorabbin Aerodrome, Melbourne
30.4.50
Pilot log book Jack Gillies: VH-BKT test flight Moorabbin
8.50
DCA file memo mentions an unconfirmed report that VH-BKT was being sold to Mr. A.R.Hardidge of Sorrento Vic, owner of Stinson Reliant VH-UXL.
6.11.50
Change of ownership: Brain and Brown Airfreighters, Moorabbin Aerodrome Vic

VH-BKT was the first aircraft of this business partnership between Z.A.(Terry) Brain and W.L (Bill) Brown, both former RAAF wartime pilots, which was to operate for the following 30 years.
30.11.50
Annual CofA renewed Moorabbin
20.2.53
Crashed during landing Moorabbin Aerodrome, Melbourne Vic.
Main wing spar broken, starboard engine installation damaged and propeller broken. Pilot W.L.Brown unhurt


Essendon 1949.                                                                                  Photo by Trevor Boughton


Moorabbin 1952 in service with Brain and Brown Airfreighters.                            John Hopton Collection

             Anson 1           W2084                                                                                                           VH-BKU
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2084

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
10.4.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2084. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot,, Laverton ex UK for assembly
28.4.41
Issued to No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier ex 1AD
28.12.41
Received General Reconnaissance School, Laverton ex 2AOS
23.10.42
Issued Guinea Airways, Parafield ex GRS for complete overhaul
7.6.43
Received No.33 Squadron, Townsville ex Guinea Airways via 1 EFTS Parafield
15.9.43
Received No.15 Aircraft Recovery Depot, Port Moresby ex 33 Sqn
28.10.43
Received No.1 Search and Rescue Communications Squadron, Port Moresby ex 15ARD
4.11.43
Unit reformed as No.9 Communications Unit, Port Moresby
15.12.43
Damaged taxying accident Berry Strip near Port Moresby
17.3.44
Received No.2 Central Recovery Depot, Richmond ex 9CU
21.4.44
Issued to Ansett Airways Mascot ex 2CRD for complete overhaul
18.12.44
Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex Ansett Airways
20.12.44
Struck by truck while parked Bankstown
17.1.45
Issued to Ansett Airways Mascot ex 2CRD for repair
30.4.45
Received No.2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond ex Ansett Airways
7.5.45
Received No.8 Operational Training Unit, Parkes ex 2AD
14.1.45
Received No.87 Squadron, Canberra ex 8OTU for storage
18.2.46
Received Care & Maintenance Unit, Wagga ex 87 Sqn. Delivered to Cootamundra Dispersal for storage.
21.9.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee NSW
7.5.48
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Cootamundralo

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
Unsold Ansons were stored at Camden Aerodrome NSW until 1960 when they were scrapped.
29.9.54
Registered VH-BKU  Petroleum Drilling Corporation Ltd, Sydney NSW
13.9.55
noted at Bankstown  Aerodrome, Sydney "Petroleum Drilling Corporation Ltd" titles. Also 21.5.56
14.12.56
Change of ownership: Papuan Air Transport Ltd, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
58
Retired due airframe deterioration in tropical climate
1.59
Donated to Boroko Pre-School playground, Port Moresby
23.3.62
Struck-off Register


Bankstown September 1955, with "Petroleum Drilling Corporation Ltd" painted above the windows.
Photo by Peter R.Keating


Kokoda PNG in 1958 with Papuan Air Transport (Patair), collecting baled rubber from locsl plantations.
Geoff Goodall collection

            Anson 1           W2255                                                                                                           VH-BKZ
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2255

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
28.6.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2255. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex UK for assembly
1.9.41
Received No.3 Service Flying Training School, Amberley ex 1AD
6.4.42
Issued 6SFTS Mallala ex 3SFTS
11.9.42
Undercarriage and mainplane damaged when struck a hole on Mallala aerodrome surface
24.11.43
Issued Ansett Airways, Essendon ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
12.9.44
Received 1AD Laverton ex Ansett Airways
25.9.44
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 1AD
30.7.45
Received 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex unit equipment
22.2.46
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Nhill ex 6SFTS Storage for undercover storage
2.9.46
Received Point Cook Storage ex CMU Nhill
14.11.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Adastra Airways Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW
16.1.48
Issued to purchaser ex RAAF Station Point Cook
24.2.49
Civil Registration application: Adastra Airways Pty Ltd, Mascot Aerodrome, Sydney NSW
4.3.49
CofA issued after civil conversion by Adastra Airways in their Mascot hangar, fitted for photographic survey

Operated on aerial photographic survey and mapping contracts across Australia
17.1.53
Crashed after takeoff Moorabbin Aerodrome, Melbourne Vic.
Engine failed as aircraft became airborne, pilot unable to maintain altitude. He flew the disabled aircraft beneath 20 feet high power wires running along Centre Dandenong Road on airfield boundary before hitting an earth bank, telephone pole and two fences. Anson came to rest on its belly in a ploughed market garden field with outer port wing torn off when it hit the pole.
Adastra crew of three received minor injuires and bruising.

For more detail refer: http://www.adastron.com/adastra/aircraft/anson/vh-bkz.htm

l
Brisbane-Eagle Farm Aerodrome Qld                                                          Photo by Gus Grulke


The accident scene at Moorabbin Vic 17 January 1953.                            Civil Aviation Historical Society

            Anson 1          R3543                                                                                                         (VH-BLE)
.40
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as R3543

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
11.7.40
Taken on RAAF charge as R3543. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
2.8.40
Issued to No.1 Air Observers School, Cootamundra ex 2AP
20.9.40
Parked Ansons R3543 and A4-5 were struck by a taxying Dragon at Cootamundra
20.4.42
Issued to Butler Air Transport, Mascot for complete overhaul
24.7.42
Transferred to Marshall Airways, Mascot for completion
11.11.42
Received 2AD Richmond ex Marshall Airways
21.12.42
Received 1AOS Cootamundra ex 2AD
9.10.44
Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex 1AOS
29.1.45
Issued to Ansett Airways Mascot ex 2AP for complete overhaul
12.11.45
Received 2AD Richmond ex Ansett Airways
15.11.45
Allotted 10EFTS Storage for undercover storage. Allotment cancelled, remain at 2AD for fire spotting
25.4.46
Damaged by violent hailstorm at 2AD. Repaired at unit.
21.5.46
Held by 2AD Storage in under cover storage
10.12.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr. E. E.McIllree, Sydney NSW
28.1.47
Issued to purchased ex 2AD Richmond

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
Unsold Ansons were stored at Camden Aerodrome NSW until 1960 when they were scrapped.
10.49
DCA allocated registration VH-BLE to R3543 on request of owner E.E.McIllree.
10.49
DCA file states R3543 has commenced civil conversion overhaul at Camden, reportedly for sale to  
Amphibious Airways, Rabaul.

Nothing further in DCA file. VH-BLE was Not taken Up.

Amphibious Airways was a short-lived New Guinea venture by Eric McIllree to use his RAAF disposals  Walrus/Seagull amphibians and Avro Ansons to transport native contract workers between plantations.
60
VH-BLE was reportedly among McIllree/Loneragan Ansons still at Camden in poor condition. Scrapped


             Anson 1          EF989                                                                                             VH-BLF      
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as EF989

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
15.2.43
Taken on RAAF charge as EF989. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
18.4.43
Log book: assembly date
12.7.43
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP
3.4.45
Received Guinea Airways, Parafield ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
26.11.45
Received 6SFTS Storage ex Guinea Airways via DAP Parafield
14.8.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 300 to Mr. E.H.Loneragan c/o James Loneragan (Mudgee) Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
7.10.46
issued to purchaser ex CMU Mallala

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
5.3.47
DCA allocated registration VH-AJL to EF989 on request of owner Mr.E.E.McIllree

Registration not proceeded with, registration allocation cancelled
3.3.48
Civil Registration application: Aircraft Disposals Co, Mudgee NSW
27.7.48
Weighed on DCA scales at Bankstown at completion of civil conversion overhaul
12.8.48
CofA issued, pointed nose modification
12.8.48
Registered VH-BLF Aircraft Disposals Co, Mudgee NSW
11.8.49
Annual CofA expired, not renewed.

Probably stored in hangars at Camden Aerodrome with other unsold McIllree/Loneragan Ansons
6.8.51
Struck-off Civil Register in 1951 DCA Census of unairworthy aircraft
8.51
Aircraft Disposals Co, Sydney letter to DCA: they expect to place Ansons VH-BLF, VH-BME, VH-BFM in service shortly and requested their registrations be reserved.

Stored at Camden
12.3.56
Registered VH-BLF Self-Drive Cars Pty Ltd, Sydney c/- E.E.McIllree
.56
Change of ownership: Sepal Pty Ltd, Sydney Airport NSW c/- M. Lawrence

Sepal Pty Ltd was an aircraft spare parts business established by Morrie Lawrence. He became Australian agent for US aerial survey company World Wide Surveys and acquired RAAF disposals Mosquitoes for their use on mapping contracts in Borneo. As part of that arrangement, Sepal Pty Ltd commenced aerial survey as World Wide Aerial Surveys Pty Ltd, Sydney with Anson VH-BLF and leased Hudson VH-SMM. 
Refer: http://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/dh98/civilmosquito.html

VH-BLF used for magnetometer mineral survey with a sensor "bird" on a cable deployed from an under belly installation.
57
Sepal Pty Ltd and its air survey assets was acquired by rival Adastra Aerial Surveys Pty Ltd, Sydney.
VH-BLF remained registered to Sepal Pty Ltd now at Adastra's Sydney Airport address, and operated by Adastra Aerial Surveys.

Operated extensively by Adastra Aerial Surveys right up to the DCA Anson grounding order 30 June 1962. To complete a photographic survey contract Adastra requested an extension.
29.6.62
DCA advise Adastra "...Director-General agrees to an extension of the date for retirement of Avro Anson aircraft VH-AGA & VH-BLF for 14 days. The CofA is deemed to be suspended as from 15.07.62."
15.7.62
CofA suspended due DCA Policy
7.62
Retired with Anson VH-AGA at the Adastra hangar Sydney Airport
18.7.62
Struck-off Civil Register
8.1.64
VH-BLF and VH-AGA noted parked on grass at the Adastra hangar Sydney Airport, both in good external condition despite 18 months in the weather.
64
Harold Thomas, founder of Camden Museum of Aviation removed parts from VH-BLF to assist his restoration of VH-AGA which he had acquired and was removing to Camden Airport.
Harold Thomas' son Alan Thomas later wrote this summary for the Adastra site:
"Originally Moorabbin Air Museum were going to acquire an Anson from Adastra but when they obtained VH-FIA down in Melbourne they had no further interest in an Adastra Anson. This left the way open for Father and I to acquire VH-AGA. At the same time VH-BLF was at Mascot with no future owner so we were allowed to remove any parts we thought useful. We removed one Cheetah, the main instrument panel, throttle box, undercarriage fairings and many small items. Before we took control of AGA a strong wind went through Mascot and AGA and BLF actually hit each other on the aileron and trailing edge of opposite wings. So we removed the undamaged trailing edge and aileron from BLF and fitted it to AGA." 
.64
VH-BLF towed away by Sydney Airport Fire Service, to whom it had been donated
c6.64
Destroyed by fire at Sydney Airport in a crash training exercise


Mascot 1956 with World Wide Aerial Surveys on mineral survey work.               Ian McDonell collection


Mascot August 1958 now with Adastra Aerial Surveys. The civilian pointed nose modification seen in the
previous picture has been replaced by a standard military nose section for use by the survey navigator.
Photo by Peter R.Keating


The final two Adastra Ansons retired outside at Mascot during 1963.           Photo by Greg Banfield

             Anson 1          W2486                                                                                           VH-BLG   
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2486

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
8.8.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2486. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
6.9.41
Received No.1 Air Navigation School, Parkes ex 2AP
12.9.43
Received No.1 Wireless Air Gunners School, Ballarat ex 1ANS
20.12.43
Received No.2 Air Observers School, Mount Gambier ex 1WAGS
7.3.45
Issued Ansett Airways Essendon ex 2AOS for complete overhaul
30.7.45
Received 1AD Laverton ex Ansett Airways
22.8.45
Received 11EFTS Storage Benalla ex 1AD for undercover storage
12.7.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 500 to Mr.E.H.Loneragan c/o James Loneragan (Mudgee) Co Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
28.8.46
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Benalla
18.2.48
Civil Registration application: Aircraft Disposals Co, Mudgee NSW c/- E.H.Loneragan
21.10.49
Test flown Mascot after civil conversion overhaul by Airflite, Mascot.
21.10.49
CofA issued, pointed nose modeifucation, cabin described as "executive interior"
21.10.49
Registered VH-BLG  E.H. Loneragan, Mudgee NSW
26.10.49
Departed on a private flight to New Guinea.  E.H."Tim" Loneragan was involved with the disposal of vast amounts of American equipment and supplies left behind at Milne Bay PNG. He flew several of his Ansons on trips to Port Moresby and Milne Bay. Returned to Sydney late December  1949
50s
Operated in Private Category for the Loneragan family businesses, usually flown by E.H.Loneragan
.59
Damaged in forced landing wheels-up near Mudgee NSW. Written-off.
Pilot E.H. Loneragan was unhurt. He was reportedly carrying several live sheep at the time.
26.6.61
Struck-off Register as Withdrawn from Service

The damaged Anson was dismantled and moved to Mudgee where  it was left in the open weather on a property alongside wrecked Percival Vega Gull VH-BQA owned by a Loneragan company. The Gull had also been damaged in a forced landing circa 1959.
Neither were recorded in the annual DCA accident summaries of the time.
1.73
Anson and derelict Vega Gull inspected at Mudgee. The Anson fuselage was intact back to the rear cabin door and interior was in fair condition with seats.
2.75
VH-BLG fuselage collected by John S. White, Sydney NSW and moved to Sydney for planned restoration as a museum display. The Loneragan family also donated two Cheetah engines, undercarriage assemblies with tyres, rudder, 16 bomb bay doors, radios and instruments.
81
Fuselage and cockpit under restoraton in a shed near Windsor NSW with other aircraft collected by the embryo Historical Aircraft Restoration Society including Beaufighters from Kalumburu, ex RNZAF Harvard.
The Anson group comprised John White, Robert Greinert and Ralph Cusack who was based in Brisbane where he was rebuilding VH-AZU and had acquired the fuselage of MG867 from Warbirds Aviation Museum, Mildura in December 1980.

Forward fuselage section displayed at Australian War Memorial, Canberra ACT


Brisbane-Eagle Farm circa 1951, possinly on another New Guinea trip.                  Photo by Gus Grulke


VH-BLG at Sydney Airport 1953, E.H."Tim" Loneragan (left) with brother Bryan Loneragan.
"White Heather" on the nose promoted the Loneragan Australian agency for the Scottish whiskey.
Photo: David Vincent collection
 

Forced landing near Mudgee 1959.                                        John S.White collection via David Vincent


Mudgee January 1973, VH-BLG's derelict remains and Percival Vega Gull VH-BQA.     John White


Nose section retoration at the original HARS workshop 1981.                      Photo by John White


Forward fuselage displayed as RAAF W2486 at AWM Canberra 2010.                   Photo by Phil Vabre

               Anson 1          W1943                                                                                          VH-BLL  
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W1943

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
31.3.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W1943. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
11.5.41
Received 3 Service Flying Training School, Amberley ex 2AP
6.4.42
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 3SFTS
16.2.44
Issued to Ansett Airways Essendon ex 6SFTS for complete overhaul
17.10.44
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 1AD
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage  ex unit strength for undercover strorage
4.10.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 450 to Mr.Spalding, New England Airways, Sydney NSW
29.11.46
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Mallala

William Spalding was a founding Director of the newly-established New England Airways which operated Ansons and Dragons on airline services between Sydney and the New England district of northern NSW.
W1943 was among RAAF disposals Ansons held in reserve without civil conversions prior to New England Airways being taken over by Butler Air Transport, Sydney effective 17 May 1948: refer
http://www.goodall.com.au/published-articles/neawansons.pdf
7.6.48
Civil Registration application: Butler Air Transport Pty Ltd, Sydney Airport NSW
10.8.48
CofA issued after civil conversion
10.8.48
Registered VH-BLL Butler Air Transport Pty Ltd, Sydney Airport NSW
20.10.50
Change of ownership: Overland Airways Pty Ltd, Condobolin NSW
20.11.51
Damaged while parked at Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney. Struck by the wing of taxying Anson VH-AZX of Marshall Airways. VH-AZX swung and also struck parked Tiger Moth VH-BCE .
20.2.52
Change of ownership: W.H.Morley & J.R.Palmer trading as Air Charter Pty Ltd, Bankstown NSW
19.10.56
Struck-off Register as withdrawn from use
10.1.57
Restored to Register VH-BLL: Papauan Air Transport Ltd, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
18.6.58
Struck-off Register as withdrawn from service.
Register ledger has hand-written "Discarded", suggesting airframe deterioration in tropical climate


Bankstown 1953 wearing REDeX Trial 1953 markings for its charter as a support aircraft for this popular
annual car trial across remote areas of the Australian outback.                   Photo by Eddie Coates

              Anson 1          DG913                                                                                          VH-BLP  
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as DG913

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
25.5.42
Taken on RAAF charge as DG913. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
5.8.43
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 2AP
1.9.42
Received No.71 Squadron, Bundaberg ex 8SFTS
20.4.44
Issued Ansett Airways Mascot ex 71 Sqn for complete overhaul. Total time 1,443 hours
30.4.45
Received 2AD Richmond ex Ansett Airways
3.5.45
Received No.200 Flight, Leyburn Qld ex 2AD
26.11.45
Received 2AD Richmond ex 200 Flight
17.12.45
Received 10EFTS Storage Temora ex 2AD for under-cover storage
8.8.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission to Mr.D.N.Dalton c/- Baker Motors, Albury NSW
23.10.47
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Temora

Ferried to Belmont Common airfield Geelong Vic for civil conversion by Brown & Dureau Ltd.
Denys N.Dalton operated as Air Taxis Pty Ltd, Albury with Percival Proctors.
10.3.48
CofA issued Belmont Common: 7 removable passengers seats for easy conversion to freighter/
A DCA memo states "this aircraft was given a thorough civil conversion with many passenger refinements"
10.3.48
Registered VH-BLP Baker Motors, Olive Street, Albury NSW c/- A.E.Baker and I.L.Cameron
6.48
VH-BLP is still at Belmont Common, not yet collected by Mr.A.E.Baker. He is in New Guinea involved with war disposals salvage at Milne Bay and due back in Albury 26 June
1.11.48
Change of ownership: John McInnerney c/- Greenfields Air Taxis, Albury NSW
McInnerney had been Denys Dalton's partner in the business Air Taxis Pty Ltd, Albury, which they had just sold to A.M. "Gus" Greenfield of Albury.
17.11.48
CofA renewed at Essendon
11.49
DCA file correspondence: Anson VH-BLP and Proctore VH-AYV both owned by John McInnerney are operated by Mr. A.M.Greenfield trading as Greenfield's Air Taxis, Albury.  Greenfield wants maintenance on both to be carried out by Riverina Aircraft Services which had established a workshop at Albury Aerodrome but DCA rule thatRAS is not approved for Anson category aircraft types.
23.12.49
Annual CofA renewed at Essendon
12.49
VH-BLP's logbook records 89 hours over past year, including 19 Albury-Melbourne flights. Not fitted radio
22.12.50
CofA expired, not renewed.
2.51
Being maintained by Riverina Aircraft Services, Albury which is now approved for the type.
6.8.51
Struck-off Register in 1951 DCA Census of unairworthy aircraft
9.51
Undergoing CofA renewal overhaul by RAS
15.10.51
CofA renewed at Albury. 7 passengers seats, Charter Category
15.10.51
Registered VH-BLP John McInnerney, Tooma NSW operated by Greenfield's Air Taxis, Albury NSW
27.8.52
VH-BLP commenced a scheduled passenger service Albury-Holbrook-Wagga return, operated by
A.M. Greenfield trading as Albury Air Service, Albury
.
24.9.52
Schedule service ceased due low passenger demand
14.10.52
CofA expired.

Inspection for CofA renewal found the wing spar was in poor condition.
In a letter to the compiler Gus Greenfield recalled a frog was found living in the sodden rotting wood layers of the spar.  Work was abandoned and aircraft left parked outside at Albury aerodrome.

VH-BLP written-off due wing spar deterioration.

(Planned to be replaced by Anson MH120 purchased ex RAAF disposals 23.2.53 at RAAF Tocumwal in the name Greenfields Air Taxis, Albury. VH-BLP was reserved for MH120 but no civil conversion carried out, later sold to become VH-BAF)
7.10.53
Struck-off Register
11.1.55
VH-BLP noted at Albury derelict, "Albury Air Service" painted above windows.
Anson MH120 was parked nearby still in RAAF paintwork.


VH-BLP "Albury Air Services"at Albury circa 1954 retired, with wing cut away to expose the extent of
deterioration of the wood structure.
                                                        Ed Coates Collection

             Anson 1          DJ287                                                                                         VH-BLS
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as DJ287

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
31.8.42
Taken on RAAF charge as DJ287. Received Dispersal Area Montague ex UK
28.9.42
Under assembly at Point Cook
4.10.42
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex Point Cook
28.10.42
Received No.71 Squadron, Bundaberg ex 8SFTS
28.4.44
Received 2AP Bankstown ex 71 Sqn
12.2.45
Received General Reconnaissance School, Bairnsdale ex 2AP
21.1.46
Transferred to GRS Storage ex unit equipment
11.2.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr.W.Dwyer,Melbourne Vic
19.5.47
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Bairnsdale

William T. Dwyer operated as Dwyer Airways, Essendon, flying fresh seafood from Tasmania.
He purchased a total of 13 Ansons, most of which were parked in RAAF markings at Essendon until resold.
.48
Dwyer sold DJ287 to Flt Lt H.A. McDonald, RAAF Laverton Vic

McDonald also acquired Ansons W1532, W2575, LV211 from Commonwealth Disposals Commission
6.48
DJ287 Underdoing civil conversion at Belmont Common airfield, Geelong by Corio Air Engineers (D.J.Bourke) which has taken over the Brown & Dureau Ltd business at Belmont Common. Bourke was formerly senior engineer for B&D
16.6.48
David J. Bourke of Corio Air Engineers wrote to DCA:
"DJ287 is almost ready for test flight. It involved more than twice the normal work required for conversion and CofA due to its disappointing condition when we opened her up. McDonald has held up work on his W2575 and W1532, both are in the open at Belmont Common. We have covered them with tarpaulins in an attempt to protect them from the weather."
1.7.48
DCA allocated registration VH-BLS to Anson DJ287 at request of owner Flt Lt McDonald
5.8.48
CofA issued at Belmont Common
5.8.48
Registered VH-BLS: Flt Lt Henry Alexander McDonald, RAAF Amberley Qld
12.48
Registration lapsed, owner has not paid Air Route Fee. His address now Balmain, Sydney
22.12.48
New Registration Application: Mr. H.A.McDonald, Balmain, Sydney NSW
VH-BLS will be based at Evans Head NSW, operated as a freighter
15.2.49
DCA approve VH-BLS ferry flight Belmont Common to Evans Head by pilot Mr.Hughes prior to payment of Air Route Fee.
49
Operated by company Freightwings, 113 Marsh Street, Armidale NSW
4.8.49
Annual CofA expired. Not renewed. DCA letters to McDonald returned as location unknown
12.50
DCA file memo: "it is understood the Repatriation Department has repossessed VH-BLS and are exploring possibilities of selling it."
6.8.51
Struck-off Civil Register in 1951 DCA Census of unairworthy aircraft. Withdrawn From Service 4.8.49.

Sold to Alfred A. Aberline, Brighton-le-Sands, Sydney NSW
25.2.52
Sold to Reginald Geary trading as Sydney Air Taxi, Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney NSW.
Legal agreement of that date transfers ownership of Ansons VH-BKA and VH-BLS from Aberline to Geary based on a cash payment to Abeline in addition to Geary taking over the 256 hangarage fees owed to DCA.
3.52
Geary negotiated a payment scheme of 30 per month with DCA so that he could take delivery of the Ansons which he intended to put into service as soon as possible. Sydney Air Taxi operated Percival Vega Gull VH-BQA, Proctor VH-BQQ and Genairco Cabin VH-UUI.
-
Ansons VH-BKA and VH-BLS ferried to Evans Head NSW where unused RAAF hangars were available for aircraft storage
12.4.55
VH-BLS CofA renewed at Moorabbin Vic
12.4.55
Restored to Register VH-BLS: West Darling Air Service Pty Ltd, 40 Darlinghurst Road, Kings Cross Sydney NSW.  To be based Bourke NSW

WDAS was one of eight charter or aerial agricultural businesses associated with Australian Aircraft Sales Pty Ltd and registered at AAS address 40 Darlinghurst Road, King Cross. Some aircraft traded by AAS were transferred between these associated companies.
5.55
Passenger seats being installed
7.10.55
Struck-off Civil Register as Withrawn From Service.


6.56
DCA refuse to renew Charter Licence for Reginald Geary, previously trading as Sydney Air Taxi. The file includes the following reference:
"Geary also has outstanding payments due for hangarage at Evans Head for Avro Ansons VH-BKA and VH-BLS which he had purchased from A.Aberline, Sydney in February 1953 (stet)."



DJ287 with 71 Squadron code PP-K at Strathpine Qld in November 1943.               Frank F.Smith collection


Bankstown 1953 freighter configuration and helmet cowlings, showing no signs of being grounded since 1949.
This and next photograph both taken by Eddie Coates


Moorabbin 1955 after rebuild for charter work, now fitted smooth cowlings and individual passenger windows.

             Anson 1          W2041                                                                                        VH-BLY
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2041

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
7.4.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2041. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
22.5.41
Received No.4 Service Flying Training School, Geraldton ex 2AP
14.6.41
Ground collision Geraldton, struck by taxying Anson N4916
29.4.43
Heavy landing Geraldton, undercarriage collapsed
19.5.43
Issued to ANA, Maylands ex 4 SFTS for repair
25.10.43
Received 4SFTS ex ANA Maylands
23.1.45
Transferred to 4SFTS Storage ex unit equipment
2.8.45
Transferred to No.87 Operational Base Unit, Geraldton ex 4 SFTS Storage
24.3.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Airlines (WA) Ltd, Perth WA
6.5.47
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Geraldton

Ferried to Maylands Aerodrome, Perth where civil conversion carried out in the company hangar.
Airlines (WA) Ltd purchased 14 Ansons from RAAF Geraldton, of which 8 were converted to civil. Later conversions were carried out in the Airlines (WA) Ltd hangar at the new Guildford Aerodrome, Perth after the company moved its maintenance and administration from Maylands.
48
Civil conversion overhaul by Airlines (WA) Ltd at Guildford Aerodrome
29.7.48
Civil Registration application: Airlines (WA) Ltd, Perth WA
2.11.48
Registered VH-BLY
5.11.48
Test flight Guildford on completion of civil conversion. CoFA issued
11.48
Entered service on the multi-stops South West newspaper delivery service
8.2.49
Minor damage when brakes failed during landing at Guildford, swung off runway.
1.11.49
Annual CofA expired
11.49
Airlines (WA) Ltd advise DCA that VH-BLY has been withdrawn from service, CofA will not be renewed
30.10.50
Airlines (WA) Ltd records state VH-BLY scrapped this date
10.4.51
Struck-off Register


VH-BLY on completion of its civil conversion at Guildford Aerodrome, Perth in November 1948. 
Airines (WA) Ltd motif was painted on the tailplane.             Photo attached to DCA CofA form

             Anson 1          W2097                                                                                        VH-BMA
/41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2097

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
14.4.41 Taken on RAAF charge as W2097. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
26.8.41
Received No.3 Service Flying Training School, Amberley ex 2AP
6.4.42
Received 6SFTS Mallala ex 3SFTS
21.3.44
Issued to Ansett Airways, Essendon ex 6SFTS for major overhaul
14.11.44
Received 1AD Laverton ex Ansett Airways
4.1.45
Received 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex 1AD for under-cover storage
9.2.45
Transferred to 6 SFTS unit strength ex storage
21.5.45
Transferred to 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex unit strength, under-cover storage
4.10.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 450 to Mr.Spalding, New England Airways, Sydney NSW
14.12.46
Issued to purchaser ex Care and Maintenance Unit Mallala

William Spalding was a founding Director of the newly-established New England Airways which operated Ansons and Dragons on airline services between Sydney and the New England district of northern NSW.
W2097 was among RAAF disposals Ansons held in reserve without civil conversions prior to New England Airways being taken over by Butler Air Transport, Sydney effective 17 May 1948: refer
http://www.goodall.com.au/published-articles/neawansons.pdf
22.6.48
Civil registration application: New England Airways, Sydney NSW
18.8.48
CofA issued
18.8.48
Registered VH-BMA
26.8.48
Change of ownership: Wollongong and South Coast Aviation Services Pty Ltd, Wollongong NSW.

Established by Walter E. James, this company operated Anson airline services between Sydney, Wollongong, West Wyalong and Nowra. It was later renamed South Coast Airways using Lockheed Lodestars.
11.11.49
Change of ownership: Alfred A. Aberline, West Wyalong NSW

Aberline was West Wyalong businesman who was a W&SCAS financial backer. He advised DCA that he had been the owner of VH-BMA which he leased to W&SCAS. It was no longer needed by them so its ownership reverted to him. It will be based at Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney for his personal use.

(DCA issued a Charter Licence to A.A.Aberline on 29.5.50 using VH-BMA based Bankstown and maintained by Marshall Airways.)
5.53
VH-BMA visited Brunette Downs Station NT for the annual gala horse races
18.11.53
Change of ownership: Franciszek Antoni Wiza c/- Australian Aircraft Sales, Kings Cross, Sydney NSW

Francis "Frank"Wiza was a decorated wartime RAF Polish fighter pilot who migrated to Australia in March 1948. He flew extensively for New Holland Airways, Sydney on European migrant charters in Lockheed Lodestars and Hudsons. Later flew Lodestars for Gibbes Sepik Airways in New Guinea for two years. Further detail refer: http://www.goodall.com.au/migrant-caper/themigrantcaper.pdf
19.2.54
CofA expired. Not renewed.
3.4.54
Change of ownership: John P. Conley c/- Australian Aircraft Sales, Hampton Court Hotel,
40 Darlinghurst Road, Kings Cross, Sydney NSW
.

John Conley at Broken Hill NSW was the founder in 1950 of Australian Aircraft Sales, which grew to become an international large-scale jet airliner sales business.
7.7.54
Change of ownership: Abe G. Saffron, Sydney NSW

Abe Saffron was a notorious Sydney Kings Cross night club owner with no links to aviation. It is assumed this was a paper transaction to balance some financial deal. The aircraft was not flyable.
10.1.55
Struck-off Civil Register as Withdrawn From Service 19.2.54.
21.3.55
Restored to Register VH-BMA: Goilala Air Services, Tapini, Papua New Guinea

Commenced scheduled airline services January 1953 between Port Moreesby and Tapini as Goilala Airways with Ansons. Service ceased August 1956.
28.6.56
Struck off Register "withdrawn due wing spar deterioration"


Visiting Brisbane-Eagle Farm circa 1952.                                             Photo by Gus Grulke


At Port Moresby circa 1955 with Goilala Airways.                             Geoff Goodall collection

            Anson 1            MG975                                                                                        VH-BMB
.44
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as MG975

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
20.3.44
Taken on RAAF charge as MG975. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
20.4.44
Received No.1 Air Observers School, Cootamundra ex 1AP
18.12.44
Received 2AOS Mount Gambier ex 1AOS
28.5.45
Transferred to 2AOS Storage ex unit equipment
30.7.45
Received Survey Flight, Canberra ex 2AOS.  Code "SU-J"
27.6.46
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Narrandera ex Survey Flight for storage
13.10.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 100 to Mr. E. E.McIllree, Sydney NSW
4.2.48
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Narrandera

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
Unsold Ansons were stored in hangars at Camden NSW until 1960 when they were scrapped.
8.7.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney c/- E.E.McIllree
2.12.48
Registered VH-BMB: Aircraft Disposals Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
5.49
CofA overhaul at Camden has not progressed while waiting for results of an overseas tour by Mr.Eric McIllree in Anson VH-BMC hoping to find markets for further Anson sales
4.51
DCA file report: VH-BMB has been painted with its registration letters, but no work on CofA overhaul
6.8.51
Struck-off Civil Register in DCA 1951 Census of unairworthy aircraft
60
VH-BMB was reported among a group of unsold Ansons and Walrus amphibians parked outside at Camden Airport NSW. They were in poor condition and later that year had their engines and parts removed
60
Scrapped at Camden NSW


MG975 with the Survey Flight in 1946.                                                    Frank F. Smith collection

            Anson 1           MG837                                                                                        VH-BMC
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as MG837

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
24.2.44
Taken on RAAF charge as MG837. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
18.4.44
Received No.4 Service Flying Training School, Geraldton ex 2AP
19.11.44
Received Air Gunnery School, Bairnsdale ex 4SFTS
18.4.45
Received General Recconnaissance School, Bairnsdale ex AGS
29.5.45
Received Survey Flight, Canberra ex GRS
14.5.46
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Narrandera ex SF for storage
13.10.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 100 to Mr. E. E.McIllree, Sydney NSW
1.12.47
Collected by purchaser on 1.12.47 ex CMU Narrandera

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
8.7.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney c/- E.E.McIllree
6.12.48
CofA issued
6.12.48
Registered VH-BMC Aircraft Disposals Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
17.3.49
Departed Darwin for India flown by Eric McIllree on a sales tour hoping to generate sales for their remaining unsold Ansons.
8.49
Letter to DCA from Aircraft Disposals, Mudgee advised that VH-BMC was overseas in the hands of their Mr.McIllree.
6.11.49
Damaged in forced landing Agra India.  Pilot Eric McIllree

Eric McIllree sold the damaged aircraft to American citizen Mr. Ronald Hudson from Texas.
Indian DCA letters to Australian DCA advise that Mr.Hudson has left the aircraft in the hands of an Indian businessman at Agra to organise the repairs.
22.12.49
Struck-off Register "sold in India"


21.6.50
Letter to DCA from Australian Consul General, India: the Indian who Hudson left in charge of the Anson is now in serious financial debt over the repairs. Neither Hudson or McIlree can be located.

DCA wrote to Aircraft Disposals, Mudgee which replied:  "VH-BMC was sold by us in Agra, India to Mr. R.Hudson, Texas United States."


            Anson 1            EG422                                                                                        VH-BMD
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as EG422

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
13.9.43
Taken on RAAF charge as EG422. Received No.1 Aircraft Park, Geelong ex UK for assembly
22.10.43
Received Central Flying School, Tamworth ex 1AP.   CFS moved to Parkes, later Point Cook
19.9.44
Ferried from CFS Parkes to Point Cook
18.3.46
Issued Care and Maintenance Unit Cootamundra ex CFS Point Cook for storage
4.9.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr.E.H.Loneragan c/o James Loneragan (Mudgee) Co Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
7.5.48
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Cootamundra

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
21.7.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney c/- Mr. E. E.McIllree

DCA allocated registration VH-BMD
9.48
U-Drive advise DCA that registration not being proceeded with due no prospective sale.

Probably among Aircraft Disposals Co Ansons stored in hangars at Camden NSW
10.10.51
CofA issued
10.10.51
Registered VH-BMD Amphibious Airways Ltd, Rabaul, New Britain c/- E. E. McIllree

Amphibious Airways was a short-lived New Guinea operation established by the entrepreneurial Eric McIllree to carry contracted native labour between plantations using his RAAF disposals Walrus/Seagull V amphibians and Ansons.
9.52
Amphibious Airways no longer operating. DCA file indicates VH-BMD never left Sydney for New Guinea
15.11.52
Change of ownership: Constructors (Engineering & Industrial) Pty Ltd, Brisbane Qld
2.2.54
Change of ownership: Papuan Air Transport Ltd, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
18.12.54
Crashed landing Embi, Papua New Guinea.
Swung off the grass runway during landing, undercarriage collapsed. Captain Frank Goosens and 14 native passengers unhurt. Aircraft declared a write-off.
20.9.55
Struck-off Civil Register "due accident"


Sydney Airport 1952, a freight train behind on the airport boundary railway line.         Photo by Eddie Coates


VH-BMD while with Constructors Limited circa 1954.                                         Geoff Goodall collection

             Anson 1             MG982                                                                                        VH-BME
.44
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as MG982

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
15.5.44
Taken on RAAF charge as MG982. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
17.7.44
Issued Survey Flight, Canberra ex 2AP. Code SU-E
17.5.46
Received Care and Maintennce Unit Narrandera ex Survey Flight
13.10.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 100 to Mr. E. E.McIllree, Sydney NSW
7.12.47
Collected by purchaser on 7.12.47 ex CMU Narrandera

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
Unsold Ansons wer stored in hangars at Camden NSW until 1960 when they were scrapped.
21.7.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney c/- E. E. McIllree
14.1.49
CofA issued
14.1.49
Registered VH-BME  Aircraft Disposals Co, Mudgee NSW
13.1.50
Annual CofA expired, not renewed
6.8.51
Struck-off Register in 1951 DCA Census of unairworthy aircraft
8.51
Aircraft Disposals Co, Sydney letter to DCA: they expect to place Ansons VH-BLF, VH-BME, VH-BFM in service shortly and requested their registrations be reserved.
60
VH-BME was reported among a group of unsold Ansons and Walrus amphibians parked outside at Camden Airport NSW. They were in poor condition and later that year had their engines and parts removed
60
Scrapped Camden NSW


MG982 while with the Survey Flight in 1945.                                      Frank F. Smith collection

             Anson 1            DG870                                                                                        VH-BMI
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as DG870

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
29.3.42
Taken on RAAF charge as DG870. Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex UK for assembly

Stored Corpus Chrisie College, Werribee awaiting assembly
22.5.42
Issued from Corpus Chrustie to Point Cook for assembly
29.6.42
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 1SFTS Point Cook
13.4.43
Received No.71 Squadron, Lowood ex 8SFTS
24.4.44
Received No.2 Aircraft Park Bankstown ex 71 Sqn for complete overhaul. Total time 1,438 hrs
14.2.45
Receved 6SFTS Storage, Mallala ex 2AP for under-cover storage
4.10.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 450 to Mr.Spalding, New England Airways, Sydney NSW
29.11.46
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Mallala

William Spalding was a founding Director of the newly-established New England Airways which operated Ansons and Dragons on airline services between Sydney and the New England district of northern NSW.
DG870 was among RAAF disposals Ansons held in reserve without civil conversions prior to New England Airways being taken over by Butler Air Transport, Sydney effective 17 May 1948: refer
http://www.goodall.com.au/published-articles/neawansons.pdf
31.8.48
CofA issued
31.8.48
Registered VH-BMI New Egland Airways, Sydney NSW
29.10.48
Change of ownership: Kingsford Smith Aviation Service Pty Ltd, Mascot Aerodrome, Sydney
28.10.49
Annual CofA expired, not renewed. Retired at Bankstown NSW
6.8.51
Struck-off Civil Register in 1951 DCA Census of unairworthy aircraft

VH-BMI retired at Bankstown 1952, deteriorating in the weather with engines and fittings removed.
The faired-over cabin windows suggest it may have been used as freighter.     Photo by Eddie Coates


           Anson 1            EG128                                                                                        VH-BMM
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as EG128

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
8.2.43
Taken on RAAF charge as EG128. Received No.2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond ex UK for assembly
12.5.43
Received No.1 Rescue and Communications Squadron, Port Moresby ex 2AD
8.11.43
Received No.2 Aircraft Park Banktown ex 1RCS for wingspar repair and complete overhaul
14.12.43
Received Ansett Airways Mascot ex 2AP for overhaul
17.8.44
Received 2AP ex Ansett Airways
4.9.44
Received 5AD Wagga ex 2AP
10.9.44
Received No.5 Service Flying Training School, Uranquinty
20.2.46
Unit reformed as No.1 Flying Training School, Utranquinty
18.4.46
Received Care & Maintenance Unit Cootamundra ex 1FTS
4.9.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 150 to Mr.E.H.Loneragan c/o James Loneragan (Mudgee) Co Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
7.5.48
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Cootamundra

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.  Unsold Ansons were stored in hangars at Camden NSW up to 1960
12.11.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW c/- E. E.McIllree
11.48
DCA allocated registration VH-BMM

Registration not completed due no prospective sale. Stored.
20.5.51
CofA issued
20.5.51
Registered VH-BMM Self Drive Cars Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW c/- E. E.McIllree
18.6.51
Change of ownership: Amphibious Airways Ltd, Rabaul, New BrItain c/- E. E. McIllree

Amphibious Airways was a short-lived New Guinea operation established by the entrepreneurial Eric McIllree to carry contracted native labour between plantations using his RAAF disposals Walrus/Seagull V amphibians and Ansons.
1.6.54
Change of ownership: Goilala Air Service, Tapini, Papua New Guinea
20.2.56
Struck-off Register. "Spars in deteriorated condition"


VH-BMM at Brisbane-Eagle Farm circa 1951 probably enroute to/from New Guinea.    Photo by Gus Grulke


Port Moresby 1955, Goilala Air Service painted above the windows.           Ed Coates Collection

            Anson 1            W2000                                                                                       VH-BMN
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2000

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
16.5.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2000.  Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
27.7.41
Received No.2 Air Navigation School, Mount Gambier ex 2AP. 2ANS moved to Nhill 9.41
13.1.42
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 2ANS
10.5.43
Struck water while low flying near Bundaberg
9.5.44
Issued to Aircrafts Pty Ltd, Archerfield ex 8SFTS for complete overhaul
30.1.45
Received No.3 Aircraft Depot, Amberley ex APL
1.2.45
Issued to No.1 Air Observer School Storage, Evans Head for under-cover storage
28.4.45
Received No.99 Squadron, Leyburn ex 1AOS
8.7.45
Received No.102 Squadron, Cecil Plains ex 99 Sqn
12.9.45
Received No.3 Central Recovery Depot, Amberley ex 102 Sqn for storage
18.2.46
Received 2AD Richmond ex 3CRD
2.4.46
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Cootamundra ex 2AD for under-cover storage
4.9.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 250 to Mr. E.H.Loneragan c/o James Loneragan (Mudgee) Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
7.5.48
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Cootamundra

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
12.11.48
Civil registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW c/- Mr. E.E.McIllree

DCA allocated registration VH-BMN.

Registration did not proceed due no prospective buyer
26.5.50
CofA issued
26.5.50
Registered VH-BMN Aircraft Disposals Pty Ltd, Mudgee NSW
9.10.50
Change of ownership: Charter Aviation Service (Australasia) Ltd, Lae, New Guinea

CAS was established in 1950 at Lae with Ansons, intending to take over the extensive New Guinea charter work left when Guinea Air Traders ceased operations late 1949. CAS was to operate for only a year.
.51
VH-BMN ferried Lae to Sydney, returned to Mr. E.E.McIlree when CAS in financial difficulties
17.3.54
Change of ownership: Papuan Air Transport, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
22.12.54
Crashed during landing Bereina, PNG.   A wing was torn off, aircaft a write-off.
Captain Frank Goosens and passengers were unhurt
20.9.55
Struck-off Civil Register "due accident"


Two views of Charter Aviation Service VH-BMN at Brisbane-Eagle Farm c1951, ferrying to/from New Guinea.
The modified civilian baggage hold pointed nose was a feature of Aircraft Disposal Co civil conversions.

Both photos by Henry W.Pryor, via Ron Cuskelly




Bankstown 1954, VH-BMN is readied for delivery back to New Guinea to Patair.       John Hopton collection

            Anson 1            W2109                                                                                       VH-BMO
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W2109

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
14.4.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W2109. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
22.5.41
Received No.4 Service Flying Training School, Geraldton ex 2AL
20.4.42
Damaged when taxied into shelter slit trench Geraldton Aerodrome
18.1.44
Issued to ANA Maylands, Perth ex 4SFTS for complete overhaul
17.7.44
Received 4SFTS ex ANA Maylands
.45
Transferred to No.87 Operational Base Unit, Geraldton ex 4SFTS for storage
22.7.45
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Evans Head ex 87OBU for under-cover storage
11.3.46
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Narrandera ex CMU Evans Head for storage           
13.10.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 100 to Mr. E. E.McIllree, Sydney NSW                 
1.12.47
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Narrandera on 1.12.47

E.H. "Tim" Loneragan, Managing Director of Jas Loneragan & Co, Mudgee and Sydney car dealer and pilot Eric E. McIllree formed a business partnership to sell RAAF disposals Ansons on the civil market.
They established Aircraft Disposals Company, Mudgee which purchased a total of 42 Ansons during 1946-47 for civil conversion and resale.
12.11.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW c/- Mr E.E.McIllree
11.48
DCA allocated registration VH-BMO

Registration did not proceed due no prospective buyer
1.8.50
CofA issued
1.8.50
Registered VH-BMO Charter Aviation Service (Australasia) Ltd, Lae, New Guinea

CAS was established in 1950 at Lae with Ansons, intending to take over the extensive New Guinea charter work left when Guinea Air Traders ceased operations late 1949. CAS was to operate for only a year.
8.2.51
Minor damage while taxying Jacksons Strip, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
c52
Ferried from New Guinea to Sydney on return to Mr. McIllree
12.3.53
Change of ownership: Airport Driveyourself Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW c/- Mr. E. E.McIllree
5.53
Sold to Nanyang Airways Ltd, Kallang Airport, Singapore
16.5.53
Departed Darwin NT on delivery flight to Singapore
26.5.53
Added to Singapore Civil Register VR-SDT Nanyang Airways Ltd, Singapore

Nanyang Airways purchased this aircraft from Australia because of an urgent need to replace their Anson VR-SDL which crashed 11.4.53 at Kuala Lumpur while on a schedued newspaper freight flight
1.1.55
Ownership transferred to parent company Nanyang Press Ltd, Singapore
11.10.55
VR-SDT noted at Kallang Airport, operational, "Nanyang Airways Limited" titles
17.9.58
Struck-off Register as withdrawn from service

VR-SDT at Kallang Airport, Singapore in October 1955.                                  Photo by Peter R. Keating

               Anson 1            DJ225                                                                                       VH-BMP
.42
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as DJ225

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
4.9.42
Taken on RAAF charge as DJ225. Allotted Butler Air Transport Ltd, Mascot ex UK for assembly
11.9.42
Received BAT Mascot
22.9.42
Received No.2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond ex BAT
3.12.42
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 2AD
27.7.45
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Narrandera ex 8SFTS for storage
13.10.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 100 to Mr. E. E.McIllree, Sydney NSW  
4.2.48
Collected by purchaser ex CMU Narrandera
12.11.48
Civil Registration application: U-Drive Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW c/- Mr E.E.McIllree
11.48
DCA allocated registration VH-BMP

Registration did not proceed due no prospective buyer
20.3.51
CofA issued
20.3.51
Registered VH-BMP Charter Aviation Service (Australasia) Ltd, Lae, New Guinea

CAS was established in 1950 at Lae with Ansons, intending to take over the extensive New Guinea charter work left when Guinea Air Traders ceased operations late 1949. CAS was to operate for only a year.
2.2.53
Change of ownership: Papuan Air Transport, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
1.8.57
Struck-off Register as withdrawn from service


VH-BMP at Brisbane-Eagle Farm on its way to or from New Guinea.                       Photo by Gus Grulke


VH-BMP at Papuan Air Transport home base Port Moresby in 1954.                Ed Coates Collection

               Anson 1            LV281                                                                                      VH-BMQ
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as LV281

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
19.10.43
Taken on RAAF charge as LV281. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
27.12.43
Received No.1 Air Observer School, Cootamundra ex 2AP
12.2.45
Issued to AFRU ex 1AOS, fitted Marconi wireless and astral domes
3.10.45
Transferred AFRU Storage ex unit equipment
8.8.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 200 to Mr.D.N.Dalton c/- Baker Motors, Olive Street, Albury NSW
26.8.47
Issued to purchaser ex Care & Maintenance Unit Deniliquin

LV281 sold by Denys Dalton to Eric Condon, Wagga NSW
29.9.48
Civil Registration application: Eric E. Condon, Wagga NSW

Civil conversion being carried out by Airflite (Training) Pty Ltd, Bankstown NSW
18.12.48
CofA issued
18.12.48
Registered VH-BMQ Wagga Flying School, Wagga NSW c/- E. E. Condon
17.12.49
Annual CofA expired
23.4.50
CofA renewed at Bankstown
5.50
Advertised for sale by Wagga Flying School: 8 passengers seats, full year's CofA
6.6.50
Change of ownership: Inland Airways Pty Ltd, Broken Hill NSW

Inland Airways was formed by five Wilcannia NSW businessmen including the town mayor. They had met experienced pilot Warren Penny who was passing through Wilcannia in May 1950 and engaged him to set up an air service and be their pilot. An office was set up in Broken Hill and a scheduled service advertised
Broken Hill-Wilcannia-Ivanhoe-Griffith-Broken Hill.
6.50
Warren Penny delivered VH-BMQ to Wilcannia and on to Broken Hill

Penny flew 5 or 6 round trips on the Inland Airways route carrying various people but not one fare-paying passenger. The company ceased to operate.
19.7.50
Penny ferried VH-BMQ from Broken Hill to Wagga for hangar storage.
21.9.50
DCA file summary: "Penny is no longer associated with Inland Airways. Without him the comany is left without pilot, organisation or engineering facilities and has little knowledge of Departmental requirements."
9.50
VH-BMQ was ferried Wilcannia-Parafield SA for maintenance by Furness Aviation Services
22.4.51
Annual CofA expired
27.4.51
Inland Airways letter to DCA. The company does not intend to renew the CofA. The Anson has been hangared at Furness Aviation Services at Parafield and is being advertised for sale.
3.7.51
VH-BMQ noted at Parafield stored in a hangar: all silver, black registration letters, "Inland Airways Pty Ltd" in red above the windows
8.51
Advertised for sale by Furness Aviation Services
26.10.51
Change of ownership: Airlines (WA) Ltd, Perth WA

Airlines (WA) Ltd were purchasing Ansons at that time to replace their DH.104 Dove fleet, which had been grounded by DCA pending investigation into the crash of their Dove VH-AQO at Kalgoorlie 15.10.51.
The Dove's port wing had clearly detached in flight.
29.10.51
Test flight Parafield in preparation for ferry flight to Perth
30.10.51
Departed Parafield on delivery
11.51
Overhaul at Perth Airport by Airlines (WA) Ltd to bring the aircraft up to their airliner standard
27.11.51
Test flown Perth by Chief Pilot Captain Nelson Hill.
11.51
Entered Airlines (WA) Ltd service.
52
Retired when Doves completed mandatory modifications and returned to all Airlines (WA) Ltd routes
16.4.53
Change of ownership: Yaringa Pastoral Co Pty Ltd, Yaringa South Station, via Geraldton WA.

Included in the sale of airworthy Anson VH-BAU as a parts source. VH-BMQ was ferried to Maylands Aerodrome, Perth, parked outside Doggett Aviation and Engineering Co hangar, where VH-BAU was serviced.
22.5.53
Struck-off Register
5.53
VH-BMQ tailplane removed from airframe and used to repair tailplane of VH-BAU by Doggett Aviation
12.55
VH-BMQ and VH-BAU noted at Maylands, derelict together outside Doggett Aviation hangar.
12.56
Yaringa Pastoral Co letter to DCA advising they have no further use for their two Ansons at Maylands. They have instructed Doggett Aviation and David Gray & Co to strip any usable parts and request that DCA dispose of the remains of both aircraft.


Wagga Flying School's VH-BMQ visiting Alice Springs NT in 1949, "Waltzing Matilda" on left side of nose.
This and next photo both taken by Phil McCulloch


VH-BMQ Alice Springs 1949, with Walt Disney "Pluto" cartoon character on the right side of the nose.
Note the original military bombardier nose has simply been sprayed over in silver.


Derelict at Maylands Aerodrome, Perth circa 1955 with VH-BAU at right.                     Photo by Jim Carter

              Anson 1            AX441                                                                                   VH-BMS
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as AX441

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
6.2.41
Taken on RAAF charge as AX441. Received No.2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond ex UK
13.4.42
Issued to Butler Air Transport, Mascot ex 2AD for assembly
18.5.42
Received 2AD ex BAT
30.5.42
Received 1AD Laverton ex 2AD
18.6.42
Issued Radio School, Laverton ex 2AD
23.6.42
Issued No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex RS
6.7.42
Received No.1 Radio Installation and Maintenance Unit ex 2AP
14.1.44
Received No.3 Communications Unit, Mascot ex 1RIMU
24.4.44
Received 2AP Bankstown ex 3CU
23.11.44
Received No.6 Service Flying Training School, Mallala ex 2AP
30.7.45
Transferred to 6SFST Storage ex unit equipment
4.10.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 450 to Mr.Spalding, New England Airways, Sydney NSW
29.11.46
Issued to purchaser ex CMU Mallala
20.9.49
Registered VH-BMS Charterflite Aviation Service, Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney NSW
20.9.49
CofA issued
10.10.49
Badly damaged by fire in hangar Bankstown
Fire broke out during maintenance in Truscott Club for Aeronauts hangar. The starboard side of the cockpit, starboard wing and engine installation were badly damaged. Hand-held fire extinguishers were used to stop the fire spreading to other aircraft.
29.11.49
Struck-off Civil Register at owner's request


             Anson 1           W1587                                                                                   VH-BNS
40
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W1587

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
3.12.40
Taken on RAAF charge as W1587. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
22.12.40
Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex 2AP
23.1.41
Received No.1 Air Navigation Scool, Parkes ex 1AD
23.2.42
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 1ANS
20.9.43
Damaged in forced landing Bundaberg during night training exercise
4.10.43
Issued to Aircrafts Pty Ltd, Archerfield ex 8SFST for repair and complete overhaul
29.6.44
Issued 3AD Amberley ex APL
22.7.44
Received 8SFTS Bundaberg ex 3AD.
6.7.45
Received Care and Maintenance Unit Evans Head for under-cover storage ex RAAF Bundaberg
28.2.46
Received RAAF Maryborough ex CMU Evans Head for under-cover storage
2.1.47
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 200 to Cairns Flying School, Cairns Qld
10.1.47
Issued to purchaser ex RAAF Marybrough

Ferried to Cairns in RAAF camouflage paintwork. Cairns Flying School had been formed by G.K.Bolton, Cairns who operated as Cairns Flying Service with a DH.60G, DH.80 and several DH82s.
6.47
DCA file report: W1587 at Cairns is being stripped for parts to maintain Cairns Flying School's airworthy  Anson VH-BBC

Australian Air Traders, Sydney parent company of Guinea Air Traders approached Bolton to purchase both his Ansons for their growing GAT New Guinea business. The negotiations resulted in Bolton selling all his aircraft to GAT
8.47
Sold to Australian Air Traders Pty Ltd, Sydney NSW

Ansons VH-BBC and W1587 ferried Cairns-Sydney, along with Cairns Flying Service's other aircraft: DH.80 Puss Moth VH-ABU, DH.60G Moth VH-UAE, DH.82 Tiger Moths VH-APZ & AQQ.

Stored Sydney, no civil conversion for Guinea Air Traders
29.5.50
W1587 Civil Registration application: Airflite (Training) Pty Ltd, Bankstown Aerodrome, Sydney NSW
9.11.50
CofA issued Bankstown
9.11.50
Registered VH-BNS Airflite (Training) Pty Ltd, Bankstown.
11.50
Airflite advise DCA that VH-BNS was registered for resale purposes only and Airflite will not be operating the aircraft
29.1.53
Change of ownership: Adastra Airways, Mascot Aerodrome, Sydney NSW

Fitted for aerial photographic mapping
3.4.53
Crashed after takeoff Moorabbin AerodromerMelbourne.
Starboard engine failed immediateiy after the aircraft became airborne on take off. Pilot was unable to climb and made a forced landing wheels-up. The aircraft struck a ditch, crossed a road on the northern perimeter of the airfield and came to rest on its belly in a cleared paddock. Crew were not injured.


W1587 at Cairns Qld in 1947 waiting for civil conversion.                                    John Hopton Collection


Two views of the Moorabbin crash scene 3 April 1953, both taken by a young Neil Follett.




             Anson 1           W1954                                                                                   VH-BSF
.41
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Newton Heath shadow factory to RAF order as W1954

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
7.4.41
Taken on RAAF charge as W1954. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
14.7.41
Received No.2 Air Navigation School, Mount Gambier ex 2AP
14.10.41
Received No.1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton ex 2ANS for 180 hourly check
8.11.41
Received 2ANS relocated to Nhill ex 2AD
13.1.42
Received No.8 Service Flying Training School, Bundaberg ex 2ANS
23.5.44
Mainplane found to be defective, airframe needs extensive reconditioing, request allotment to civil contractor
10.7.44
Issued to Aircrafts Pty Ltd, Archerfield ex 8SFTS for complete overhaul
15.4.45
Received 3AD Amberley ex APL Archerfield
3.5.45
Received 6SFTS Storage Mallala ex 3AD for under-cover storage
8.4.47
Issued to Air Ground Radio School, Ballarat ex CMU Mallala
50-52
Held at AGRS in hangar for ground instruction
15.9.52
Offered for dispsoal, stored in hangar AGRS Ballarat
7.10.52
Last RAAF record card entry
15.12.53
Registered VH-BSF Brain and Brown, Moorabbin Aerodrome, Melbourne Vic
54
Renamed Brain and Brown Airfreighters Pty Ltd, Moorabbin Aerodrome Vic

Operated air cargo charter flights, particularly between Melbourne, Tasmania and Bass Strait islands
60-62
Regularly cross-hired to Flinders Island Airines, Moorabbin to join their Ansons on the FIA afternoon  newspaper delivery contracts to Victorian county towns.

VH-BSF was in freight service right up to the DCA Anson type grounding order effective 30.6.62
30.6.62
Anson farewell formation over Melbourne, VH-BSF with FIA Ansons VH-FIA and VH-FIC
30.6.62
CofA suspended due DCA Policy.  Retired at Moorabbin
2.63
Burnt for fire practice by Moorabbin Airport Fire Service
3.3.63
noted Moorabbin as a burnt out hulk


Moorabbin 1956 with Brain & Brown Airfreighters but without company markings.     Photo by Eddie Coates


Moorabbin 1960 looking much smarter in Brain & Brown Airfreighters markings.        Photo by Neil Follett


Moorabbin May 1962 loading newspapers for delivery to Victorian country towns alongside two FIA Ansons.
The following month all Australian Ansons were grounded by DCA.                     Photo by Geoff Goodall


VH-BSF at Moorabbin in March 1963 after being donated to the airport fire service for a training exercise.
Photo by John Hopton

             Anson 1           LT587                                                                                   VH-BVX
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as LT587

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
2.8.43
Taken on RAAF charge as LT587. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
17.1.44
Received Air Gunnery School, West Sale ex 2AP
14.11.45
Transferred to AGS Storage ex unit equipment
19.8.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 305 to Mr. Macarthur-Onslow, Camden NSW

The Macarthur-Onslow family were wealthy graziers in the Camden area.  During the 1920s-1930s younger men of the family became flying enthusiasts and established an aviation country club and airfield on their property at Camden. Commercial companies formed and based at Camden inciuded:
- Light Aircraft Pty Ltd
- Air Travel and Survey Pty Ltd
- Macquarie Grove Flying and Gliding School Pty Ltd
The airfield and accomodations were taken over by RAAF in 1939, postwar becoming Camden Airport, still in use today.   After wartime service Lt Colonel Edward Macarthur-Onslow DSO re-established civil flying at Camden by forming Macquarie Grove Flying School Pty Ltd, which as well as flying training, also purchased RAAF disposals Tiger Moths (4), Lockheed Hudsons (14) and Ansons (2) for civil resale.

Edward Macarthur-Onslow made an arrangement with Sydney car dealer Eric E.McIllree to market his two Ansons LT587 & LT780 along with the Anson sales of the McIllree-E.H.Lonerage partnership business
Air Disposals Co.  McIllree and his Anson ferry pilot Charles H. Eather collected the two Macarthur-Onslow Ansons at West Sale
3.9.46
LT587 test flown West Sale by Charles Eather
5.9.46
LT587 flown West Sale-Mallacoota-Camden by Charles Eather, in formation with LT780 flown by McIllree
20.5.47
DCA registration allocation list shows LT587 allotted VH-AVX to E.H.Loneragan, Mudgee NSW.
At that time DCA prohibited the VH-AV series due conflict with new standard aviation telephony codes, and changed all VH-AV_ registrations to the equivalent VH-BV_ registration.
8.9.47
Civil Registration application: Agriculturists Aviation Services Pty Ltd, Brisbane Qld
11.9.47
Ferried Camden to Archerfield Aerodrome, Brisbane painted as VH-BVX on DCA ferry permit
9.47
Inspection at Archerfield to fit the aircraft with equipment for agricultural seed spreading

Serious defects found in the airframe. Temporary repairs carried out by ground engineer W.R.Dalgleish to allow ferry flight back to Camden where Macquarie Grove Flying School will rectify the defects.

Sale to Agriculturists Aviation Services was cancelled
15.7.48
Registered VH-BVX Macquarie Grove Flying School Pty Ltd, Camden NSW
15.7.48
CofA issued
7.9.49
Change of ownership: Charterflite Pty Ltd, Camden NSW c/- R.W.J.Charlier & H.J.Bollingmoore
16.9.49
Letter to DCA from Charterflite advises that VH-BVX is to be broken up because of poor glue adhesion in the mainplane and  tailplane. The company is acquiring Anson VH-BMS to replace VH-BVX.
5.10.49
Struck-off Register as "used for spares"

Retired Camden NSW, broken up for parts


Archerfield 1947 showing the repaint from VH-AVX to VH-BVX.                        Photo by Gus Grulke

             Anson 1           LT780                                                                                   VH-BVY
.43
Built by A.V.Roe & Co Ltd at Yeadon shadow factory to RAF order as LT780

Shipped boxed to Australia under the Empire Air Training Scheme
16.8.43
Taken on RAAF charge as LT780. Received No.2 Aircraft Park, Bankstown ex UK for assembly
12.12.43
Received Air Gunnery School, West Sale ex 2AP
8.7.45
Transferred to AGS Storage ex unit equipment
19.8.46
Sold through Commonwealth Disposals Commission for 305 to Mr. Macarthur-Onslow, Camden NSW

The Macarthur-Onslow family were wealthy graziers in the Camden area.  During the 1920s-1930s younger men of the family became flying enthusiasts and established an aviation country club and airfield on their property at Camden. Commercial companies formed and based at Camden inciuded:
- Light Aircraft Pty Ltd
- Air Travel and Survey Pty Ltd
- Macquarie Grove Flying and Gliding School Pty Ltd
The airfield and accomodations were taken over by RAAF in 1939, postwar becoming Camden Airport, still in use today. Following wartime military service Lt Colonel Edward Macarthur-Onslow DSO re-established civil flying at Camden by forming Macquarie Grove Flying School Pty Ltd, which in addition to training, purchased RAAF disposals Tiger Moths (4), Lockheed Hudsons (14) and Ansons (2) for civil resale.

Edward Macarthur-Onslow made an arrangement with Sydney car dealer Eric E.McIllree to market his two Ansons LT587 & LT780 along with the Anson sales of the McIllree-E.H.Lonerage partnership business
Air Disposals Co.  McIllree and his Anson ferry pilot Charles H. Eather collected the two Macarthur-Onslow Ansons at West Sale.
5.9.46
LT780 flown West Sale-Mallacoota-Camden by McIllree, in formation with LT780 flown by Eather
22.9.47
Civil Registration application: Agriculturists Aviation Services Pty Ltd, Brisbane Qld
22.10.47
CofA issued at Camden
22.10.47
Registered VH-BVY

Delivered to Archerfield where fitted with equipment for agricultural seed spreading.

The modifications were installed by Aeronautical Supply Co which commissioned Brisbane aeronautical engineer Mr. George Deitchman to design and construct the fittings. When AAS disputed the costs and failed to pay ASCo, Deitchman refused to submit his engineering drawings to DCA for approval.

VH-BVY was unable to be flown while modified with the unapproved agricultural equipment. It was parked outside in the weather during the lengthy financial dispute.
21.10.48
Annual CofA expired. Not renewed

Retired at Archerfield Qld
2.50
DCA file: VH-BVY is still outside at Archerfield now in poor condition. DCA letters to owner AAS are being returned.
5.51
DCA file: VH-BVY is derelict at Archerfield, will not fly again
1.6.51
Struck-off Register


VH-BVY at Archerfield 1948 with seed sowing chutes visible under the wings.           Photo by Gus Grulke

               

Back to the Australian Aviation Menu